I have officially made the dumbest string mistake ever.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by steamboat, May 31, 2001.

1. Today I decided that the strings on my fretted 4 were finally just too dead for me, and that I would go buy some new ones. I went into a local music store and picked out a set of D'Addarrio XL's, because they've treated me pretty well in the past. The XL's at the store were in two types of packaging.. after a brief inspection I decided that the only difference between them was that one was nickel and the other stainless steel. I then took them to the counter, paid $28 (this was also a stupid mistake.. I think I'm going to buy strings online from now on.. even with shipping included I can get strings online cheaper than that).

I then went home and jammed a bit with my two guitarists (we all bought some strings together). After they left I began to put my new strings on. I started putting the E on and cut it down a bit so I wouldn't have too many windings on the peg. I then noticed that the string was a bit tapered as it approached the nut. I looked at the packaging and to my horror, I realized that it said medium scale length on them. It could've been a lot better marked.. but I still should have looked more closely in the store. The store is not that big and has no 32" scale basses, I have no idea why it had those strings.

Being tapered, the string sat too low in the nut and buzzed horribly while open and on all of the lower frets. I tried all sorts of whacky stuff to get that string to sit correctly in the nut but to no avail. I now have a useless set of short scale strings. I threw out my receipt after leaving the store and I don't think the store would take them back anyway since the package is opened and the E string has been cut.

I do have another set of strings that weren't completely dead when I removed them and kept as backups.. but I'm pretty bummed that I wasted 30 bucks.

I guess this serves as a warning to make sure you know exactly what you are buying before you buy it.. whether it is a set of strings or anything else.

Anyone else got a string story that they feel rivals mine?
  2. well.. think of it this way:

it could´ve been worse, you could´ve decided to save you some trouble and bought 5 sets of strings... and then found out that you couldn´t return them! :p

I feel sorry for your loss...
  3. D'addario strings suck. That happenned to me with D'addario extra long scale on a 35" scale. Extra long my a$$.
  4. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Why don't you send an e-mail to D'Addario explaining what happened. If you have been happy with the strings in the past, (make sure you state that in your correspondence), they may send you another set rather than lose a customer. I bet they will replace them. Try it.
  5. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Been there, screwed up like that! It hasn't happened on my Spector, but when I owned my Modulus it did, because 35" scales were not nearly as common, so string manufacturers didn't always build that into their string length.

My recent screw-up was buying a set of Elixir's (nanoweb). I don't like 'em, pure and simple! They're too expensive, and I miss my DR's very badly ::weep-weep::
  6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    My stupid string error is when I put new strings on my MIA 75 reissue Jazz bass (with the pickup cover over the neck pickup) and I forget to pass the string UNDER the cover. Of course, I never notice until I have it wrapped around the post...you think I'd learn at some point....sheesh.

I did the "Bought short scale strings by mistake" once, too. Live and learn. Knowledge is power, right? : - D

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    There's a MUCH worse mistake to be made...ever tuned your strings an octave UP? Ouch. I've never done it, but man, ouch.
  8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    A friend of mine once found an unmarked bag on the train with $500 and turned it in to the token booth clerk.

I hope that makes you feel a little less stupid.

I agree that you should tell your story in detail to D'addario. String companies can be very kind and accomodating.
  9. Heh, when I was putting my guitar in Fripp tuning (CGDAEG), I made the mistake of putting the A a ninth up from standard open G instead of a second. I was wondering why my hand was getting torn apart by flying strings...
  10. Yea, I suppose in the grand scheme of things, $30 bucks isn't much. I have a decent amount in savings and a good paying job during the school year, but here at home I have no job during the summer. Losing $30 doesn't feel too good without any money coming in.

On the bright side, I put on a set of D'Addarrio Prisms that I had on last fall and kept as a backup. I have no idea why I took these off when I did. They seem really bright and snappy. I don't remember how long I used them for, but it was probably between 2 and 3 months, and they sat in my gig bag for 7-8 months. The set has a .105 E, as opposed to a .95 with the Blue Steels I had on. I forgot how much I liked big strings. I don't think I'll go back to back to anything less than a .105 E now. When I play with my band I feel like I have a lot more presence and authority with the bigger strings.

I guess the silver lining is that had I not screwed up, I would probably be using smaller strings for a long time to come.
  11. It could be worse. I bought a set for my upright bass that I hated, took 'em straight off. That's about US$110 down the drain!
  12. I also have bought the wrong strings by accident. I went in to the store to buy some Slowounds which I really like, but when I got there they didnt have them in a 5 string set. So I bought a set of DL's which I have had previously and liked a little. (reminder I had a gig in two hours) I walk out of the store, and go home and start to string them up. Suddenly I think to myself, hey where did the B string go? I looked all over and couldnt find it. Suddenly my eyes caught the box and I noticed that there were only 4 sizes, instead of 5. After I realized I had bought a set of 4 strings instead of 5 I went back to the store to find out that they didnt carry any DL 5 strings either. So I bought a set of Ernie Ball strings, which i really dont like but I was in a large jam, and on the way out the store decided I was in such a rush I was just going to string them up in the car and rush off to the gig. Same thing happened. couldnt find a B. This time I walked right in, walked behind the counter, and physically took the strings I wanted, rather than let the guy at the counter get them for me. I felt like an idiot, but I also felt that the guy at the counter, after realizing they didnt have any Slowound 5 strings, would have automatically found a 5 string set. But wait, no he didnt.
  13. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Steamboat I did the exact same thing one time. I cut the string to short. Always hold the old string up the the new one and see where it is that you clipped it last time so they will be the same length.
  14. oh no, I didn't cut them too short.. the outer windings were tapered off before they reached the nut because they were meant for a shorter scale bass
  15. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I guess this serves as a warning to make sure you know exactly what you are buying before you buy it.. whether it is a set of strings or anything else.

Anyone else got a string story that they feel rivals mine? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yea, I did the same thing as you once. Sure pissed me off spending $30 for strings that I couldn't use. Now I carefully inspect the package before leaving the store.
  16. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    This thread jinxed me man. I read it, went to work and changed the strings on my Stingray 5. Was putting a new set of DR Highbeams on it to check out for the first time, and cut the dang D string to short to get enough of a winding to hold. Now it wont tune up and I had to put a cheap old GHS on it and I am kicking myself big time.
  17. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Care to elaborate on why you feel they suck please? A total newbie couldve read this and be totally turned off to what alot of people consider to be a very good string? Its ok to say something stinks but you should at least back it up with why you feel that way.