Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have rented a bass and amp for 3 months.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maj. Pain, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Maj. Pain

Maj. Pain Guest

Feb 5, 2004
    Ontario
    Now I am looking to buy. I am renting a Fender Squier P-Bass package, but I don't intend to buy it.

I haven't heard many good things about Fender Squiers, and have noticed a few faults on my bass aswell. I am now looking for a new bass and amp. I am 14, so I can't get a job yet. All I have now is birthday money. I have approximatly $550 Canadian ($410 American).

I know that isn't very much, and that is why I am asking for advice. Are there any good basses and amps that I could afford? Or possibly any basses that there are deals on that you know of?

It is important that the store I would order it from is in Canada, as I don't want to pay $100 to get it over the border. If there is a good bass from the US, that is cheap, tell me about it aswell I guess. I might be able to get together some money to pay the extra charge.

Thanks for your help.

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    In that price range and being here in Canada you have a few options: Peavey Milestone or Millenium (import series not the USA one), Yamaha RBX270 or Yamaha RBX370, Ibanez, or purchasing used. You will want to spend a few dollars on a decent amp. You could look at Yorkville (very nice for the price), Peavey, Fender Rumble series, or Crate. All of the above are attainable here and represent decent quality for the price range stated.

There is a lot of BS flying around about the Squiers. You have to look at each bass individually and decide if it is worth it. Most who want you to avoid Squiers at all costs haven't really played one. Still I would look at the ones I listed above, play those plus any Squiers you come across and let your hands and ears decide what works for you.

Dan

3. Maj. Pain

Maj. Pain Guest

Feb 5, 2004
    Ontario
    I have played the Yamaha RBX270, and it seemed ok. I know that in some US stores they are clearing out the RBX774. It was $900 USD, but is now going for $250 USD ($330 CAD). I am interested in trying on, but I am unsure if they are going for the discounted price in Canada aswell. Are there any specific types of Ibanez I should look for? I'll look at the Peavey's aswell.

-Scott

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    You could look at the SRX series of Ibanez basses. They seem to be quite good. I haven't seen the RBX774/5 discounted around here. I actually thought of ordering one from the States because the price was so good.

Dan