1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I have seen the light!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nonohmic, May 14, 2006.

1. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    I read here all the time about gaining 'that' tone and up until now have never experienced a dramatic change in tone.

But! I wanted to practice in my living room where it is warm, so realised that my new Boss ME-50B has a headphone jack in the back. Brought it out and plugged in a new set of Griffin Ear Buds.

The sound was awesome compared to my amp! My amp is about 3 years old Laney RBW300. 165 Watts into a 15" with a tweeter. (it is my first amp)

Through the headphones the highs were crisper, and the lows fuller. With no FX dialled up and playing clean my Cort B4 sounded wicked. Ive always loved the feel of this bass but have never been completely convinced about the tone. Now I am!!

So it basically boils down to the fact that my amp sux!!! :crying:

I had never felt what a change in amp could do but now i know that even with FX an amp makes all the difference GAS is setting in!!!!

P.S. I always thought my slapping was average cause it always sounded real muddy, but playing through the headphones gave me a wicked sound. So maybe I'm actually not that bad?!?!?!!!:D :D

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    A word of caution...sometimes you might think a problem or improvement comes from this piece of equipment or that, but NEVER rule out that ANY piece in the chain can be adding or taking away sound qualities that you do or don't like.

What do I mean? over the 6-7 years of playing I've replaced various pieces, convinced! that I was making the right change, then years later change guitars or speakers and realize, wow, it was the guitar or speaker or whatever that was preventing that next improvement in tone.

What have I learned? sort of? Seek quality first, not bargain. if your guitar sounds good with many amps, you might have a good bass. in the end you'll only really know when your playing onstage with the band if your loud enough and if your "tone" is right for you.

Good Luck.