Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have the album Tommy(the who) but im not very impressed by Entwistle!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by zack01, Aug 21, 2002.

1. zack01

zack01

Aug 3, 2002
    im not very impressed by Entwistle bass lines on this album. But i have to say i love the Album.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't really like either - I remember reading rave reviews about this, but the sound of it is very "flat" to my ears. So like the Who, to me are all about excitement and energy, but this just sounds completely lacking in either.

OK it may proves that Townsend was a bit cleverer as a song writer than most rock artists, but I think he over-stretched his talents with this and it just doesn't live up to the hype - I had it on vinyl, but didn't bother to get it on CD when I changed over and have never missed it.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's all about context. In that day and age it was new and pretty much without precedent.

You don't judge a 60s car by todays standards either, do you?

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - I bought it in the 70s, but wouldn't want to listen to it now! Whereas a lot of Led Zep recordings I bought at a similar time, still sound vital and energetic now - really good to listen to.

A lot of Jazz recordings made in the 60s, sound better and better with time!

You can't go back in time and albums can only be judged by how they sound now - anything else is just nostalgia!

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    try quadrophenia for some happening bass lines. i never really liked tommy, to be honest, but i listen to quadrophenia all the time, one of my favorites.

6. Tommy is one of those albums my mom used to play that I distinctly remember hearing when I was a kid so, to me, it's the Who album that all other Who albums are judged by. I recently bought it on CD but haven't taken the time to really disect what John Entwistle is doing on bass. I do think, as far as Entwistle's playing is concerned, there are a few more shining moments on Quadrophenia. Great recording, in my opinion, though.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Shoot! Forget the "Rock Opera". That was Townsend project.

Check out the "real Entwistle" on "The Who Live at Leeds." You'll think Flea, Ryknow, and others are just wallflowers who should be playing in a Salvation Army band when you hear Entwistle's roar on that one.

This man was truly "The God of Bass Thunder." No one is getting a nap in Heaven nowadays.

8. rickbass

Shoot! Forget the "Rock Opera". That was Townsend project. I hated it after seeing the who in the late 60's.

Check out the "real Entwistle" on "The Who Live at Leeds." You'll think Flea, Ryknow, and others are just wallflowers who should be playing in a Salvation Army band when you hear Entwistle's roar on that one.

This man was truly "The God of Bass Thunder." No one is getting a nap in Heaven nowadays.

9. so true. I think Live at Leeds and Quadrophenia are the best examples of Entwistle's playing. Face Dances is not bad either.

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I agree. "Live at Leeds" kicks a$$. One of the best live albums of all time. IMO.

11. rickbass

When I heard his playing on that one, I had to think about, (seriously), if I deserved to play bass any longer.

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Pinball Wizard is in my top 10 list for the best bass line ever.
    This quicksilver pentatonic bouncing, don't you like it, really ?

13. Big Ditto on this.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Embarassingly-
    ...I just picked up Tommy about a month ago for the first time.
    I like it, but I really like Quadrophnia better(which I have had since it was first issued). ;)

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Personally, I think I like what Ox played on Elton's version vs. the original...especially the outro.

16. rickbass

Gottdammit, Jim! You have such a knowledge of recorded music - pick up on my thread in "Recordings' about Glassjaw, would'ja??? I always respect your opinions

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Rick-
    I already peeked.
    You got me on those-
    I'm clueless(or oblivious). ;)

18. Ditto. I too had doubts about Entwistle's playing after hearing Tommy (Though I loved the album). I don't have those doubts anymore after listening to Live at Leeds.

19. rickbass

Hard to believe - you're one of my musical "compasses"...but, it's a wide world and that's what keeps our blood flowing.....(which is why my "70's punk sensitivities" never believe in end-all/be-all authorities....but you're close!

20. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Yep, I'd agree with all of that - Tommy is not the Who's, or John Entwistle's, best effort. Live at Leeds and Quadrophenia are probably both better indicators of his ability.