I have the chance to buy.....A DeLorean!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Guss, Apr 20, 2003.

1. I need to know everything about this car in regards to it being a good buy, or just a piece of crap. I hope it's a goodie, because those cars are so cool!:p
    (But be honest)
  2. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    It can take you back to the future at 88mph

3. Alright you guys, just get that crap out of your system.:D
  4. Their crap.

Top Three Reasons Why

#1 Made by a over-rated Designer turned Cokehead. All the mechanical parts are 'borrowed' from other companies and thrown together.

#2 Who's gonna work on it? Where you going to get parts? What if you have to smog it?

#3 You can't open the doors in the parking lot
    'cause those 'gull-wings' will always be smacking something. Better have a wide garage.
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Damn, I was all excited to make a back to the future joke.

Just don't drive it like Ace Frehly, you should be OK.
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    This is all true for a daily driver, which a Delorian is not. It's a collectable, weekend type thing.
  7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    #1) Wasn't after the design of the DeLorean that got all coked up, blowing every bit of the company's meager earnings? So wouldn't the design be ok, since he wasn't fried out of his mind at that point?

#2) From everything I've heard about em, they're supposed to be pretty damn unreliable, so I hope you've already got a source for these. Or it won't be a daily-driver.

#3) Not to mention pretty ugly, IMO.
  8. Your right.

Owning a DeLorean is like joining some sort of "club."

9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    When I was in college there was a guy in town who had one. It had a license plate on it that said "88MPH." :rolleyes:

brad cook
  10. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    one of the guys i work with has one and loves it.
  11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
  12. bass27

Apr 1, 2003
    DeLorean was not a coke head!!!!!

He was approched to use his cars as a smuggling vehicle for coke (which he never did himself). He was in hock to his ears from start money for the company so he took the deal... he was then ratted out by General Motors to shut him down (the whole thing was a set up).

You see John DeLorean was an auto desinger at G.M. for 20 yrs. and got tired of the big three squashing good desing ideas for the sake of parts sales (inferior cars, and parts have to be replaced more often). Anyway he set out to make his car which is a marvel of engineiring in the 20 th century. and really a fun dependable car...

It is high in alum, and stainless content and built to lasting detail... parts however do prove a problem however for a toy is an awsome piece...

Incedentally prior to johns conviction, his plant parts machinery and assets were sold at private auction. guess who bought it..........you got it G.M. bought all his assets and tore the whole thing down as he was being sentenced for trafficing (all courtessy of general motors). the body panel presses were sold though later to universal studios to make the cars for the back to the future ride.... these cars instead of the dmc logo on the grill have a simular gmc logo (General Motors Corporation).

In short the cars are cool...:cool:

The desing is very good..

The parts will be hard to find...

And the big three suck!!!!!!

P.S. there are less than 6 auto makers in the world now Ford motor co.
    General motors co.
    Daimler chrystler
    nissan motors
    honda motors
    And dewoo (like they count or some thing)

All others inc, lamborgini, rolls, volvo and lexus are part of one of the big three, as nissan and honda have no other brands in thier corporations..

lexus by toyota, by general motors $60,000

just buy the chevy for $25,000
  13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Yes, do purchase the druggy car. Seriously.
  14. 72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    ...plus, the rebate's in the trunk. <rimshot>

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I went to blockbuster one night and parked right next to a delorean, but not just any delorean...THE delorean, well..I know they made a bunch with the back to the future **** all over it. but this was one of them, it even had a mr. fusion.
  16. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Sorry if I'm not up to snuff on this stuff, but who owns Toyota, BMW, Audi/VW, Hyundai, and Kia? (I know there are more I'm too lazy to think of them) And isn't Nissan actually part of Renault? Or at least run by a French dude?

Back on topic, a DeLorean would be uber-cool to have, but a pain to take care of.
  17. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Ever heard of Infiniti or Acura?
  18. bass27

Apr 1, 2003
    You are correct about those too many names for a handfull of co.s sorry

as for kia bought recently but I don't know who

porshca, and vw I believe were part of diamler

hyndia and audi are owned as well but not sure (thinking g.m. owns audi....)

And toyota was the first forienge car co bought by the big three bought by gm in 1967 (could be 73 also too tired)

I'll never understand why so many names for three co.

Want to upset a lexus owner tell him he really owns a chevrolet!!!!

God they hate that!!!!!:D
  19. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Porsche, VW and Audi are the same company. I'm sure they are owned by one of the bigger companies.

Every DeLorean has a vanity plate with a reference to BTTF on it. I saw one that said "MARRRDY" and one other one I can't remember.
    If you can afford to throw money at something, you should just do it. If it's a stretch, don't bother.

I'll say this while on the subject: Mazda, Land Rover, Jaguar... All companies I'd never deal with... owned by Ford, who does to cars what Gibson does to companies like Steinberger and Tobias (makes them bad).