1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"I have the hardest job!"

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ericw, May 10, 2010.

1. Singer

47 vote(s)
    19.7%
  2. Lead Guitar

15 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Rhythm Guitar (who am I kidding?)

6 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. Bass Guitar (I haul the PA after all!!)

59 vote(s)
    24.8%
  5. Drummer

63 vote(s)
    26.5%
  6. Carrots

84 vote(s)
    35.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Voted Carrots. They are such a PITA to prepare, what with the washing, peeling, cutting. If you're cooking them, fugettaboutit!

2. jakedimmick

jakedimmick

Feb 10, 2010
    Windsor, ON
    To be fair to the singers, there is usually a lot more to memorize when you're the singer. With the music, in standard pop music, It's intro, verse, chorus, repeat. Maybe a bridge and outro in there too, but there is a lot of repetition in there. It's not nearly the same for the singer. Choruses (chori?) are usually the same, but sometimes change, verses are rarely the same, so there is much more to memorize.

Add to that having to be personable between songs, and that's a lot of work.

3. I voted singer, and then probably drummer after that. I based it on the skill and preparation needed to perform, and didn't take into account equipment setup, etc...

I can't sing well at all. Although I'm pretty good at memorizing lyrics, phrasing and structure, it is just hitting the actual note that is a problem. :)

I've tried a little drumming. Snare and hi-hat wasn't too bad, but getting the kick-drum was a mess, even on simple beats.

4. bassphreak

bassphreak Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Lehigh Valley Area, PA
    Didn't see an option for guitar and singing....our rhythm guitarist is our singer. Anyone that plays an instrument and sings has the hardest job. I have a hard enough time with backing vocals and bass....I have a whole new appreciation for someone that plays and sings, and can do both well.

5. Howlin' Hanson

Howlin' Hanson Lighter cabs, please.

Sep 3, 2007
    Austin TX
    One thing that no one has mentioned is the singer is constantly breathing fairly hard (assuming they produce any volume) and getting dehydrated due to constant inhaling and exhaling. Physically, it's not quite as demanding as drumming, but it can be taxing. Throw a bass on the singer and you get quite a challenge.

My vote went to the drummer, though. Man, do they have to deal with a boatload of stuff.

6. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    There is a difference between a singer and a front man. Any schmuck with a mic can read lyrics off a stand. See: Karaoke. But a front man who can sing and put on a show earns my respect ever time.

7. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The guy who books the band has the hardest job, IMO. Plenty of musicians that like to sing, and like to play an instrument. Very few ever like being the salesman.

Hardest job depends on the band. In Rush, the bass and drums have the hardest parts, while in Van Halen it's the guitar.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    The hardest job is one you have not properly prepared for. Band or no band.

9. Hi.

^+ 1000

The singer is IME 90% of the times also the front person of the band, close to 99% on the "modern" music.

Judging the relative "hardness" is difficult though, some tasks are more demanding physically, some mentally. If the inspiration is lost for some reason, playing solos can be extremely difficult.

Off the list, I'd say the hardest, or at least the least appreciated task in the band, is running sound (=getting the vocals heard). For the average bar band, the PA, or more fittingly vocal SR, is vastly underrated compared with the other amplification and even the acoustic drums.

So my vote would've gone for running the sound ;).

Regards
    Sam

10. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

Apr 28, 2010
    O'Fallon, IL
    If the primary singer plays an instrument, runs the band, books the jobs and fronts the band, that's clearly the hardest job. If everybody plays and sings, then whoever books the jobs and fronts the band has the hardest job. If the singer doesn't play but does front the band, (s)he has no excuse at all if (s)he butchers a song. If (s)he doesn't know it, (s)he should know better than to try to sing it!

11. i agree with the poll. Carrots have the hardest job in the band. nuff said.

12. Isn't it supposed to be fun for everyone involved? Singers should love singing, drummers drumming, lead guitarists posturing etc. If you're finding it hard work, why are you doing it? In my experience, not for the money!

13. Spraeg

Spraeg

May 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Drummer by far. Everything relies on the drummer being able to keep solid time, tempo, and rhythm. Like Electracoyote said, you can cover up a mistake or a forgotten lyric or a missed note. If the drummer speeds up or slows down, or does something unexpected, it can throw everything off, and most importantly, the audience can tell. Plus, I may have the heaviest amp in the band, but my 410 is compact, they have piles and piles of junk to lug around and set up.

14. It depends on the band. In my band, a lot of the rhythm guitar lines are more difficult to play than the "lead" ones.

15. From the poll results, I conclude that it's really difficult being the 'carrots' in a band.

16. Rebmo

Rebmo

Aug 19, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Depends on who works the hardest on their task.

17. My vote goes to the singer, who has the only instrument in the band that can't be purchase and you only get one for life.

18. Musically, I think everyones job ends up being about equally difficult.

But the singer is the face and the voice (figuratively and literally) of the band usually. So they have 2 jobs onstage as opposed to the 1 job the rest of us have. However, thats no excuse for not knowing lyrics, so TS, Im on your side

19. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    ordinarily i'd agree w/the singer, but not if she's coppin' that attitude... i say eff her and find a replacement. voted carrots.

20. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Drummer.