1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"I have the hardest job!"

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ericw, May 10, 2010.

1. Singer

47 vote(s)
    19.7%
  2. Lead Guitar

15 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Rhythm Guitar (who am I kidding?)

6 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. Bass Guitar (I haul the PA after all!!)

59 vote(s)
    24.8%
  5. Drummer

63 vote(s)
    26.5%
  6. Carrots

84 vote(s)
    35.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. snapple

snapple

Nov 25, 2003
    Victoria-Vancouver Canada
    Endorsing Artist: PCL Vintage Amps
    I think that arguing with bandmates over who's got it the hardest will only stir up animosity within your band. To the OP: get a new singer. She obviously doesn't care enough about the gig to learn her parts.

2. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    The Drummer, hands down.

The drummer takes the most verbal abuse from gui****s (both kinds) and keyboardists a like. When your solo 6-stringer can't keep a beat if it was a stick glued to his face, they look at the drummer like it is their fault. When everyone else has a volume knob, but forgets that an acoustic set doesn't have a volume knob.

Drummers, easily have the hardest job. Not only are we the source of tempo for the band and the crowd, but we don't get thanked for it, and we get blamed when the rest of the yahoos in the band make a mistake.

Oh, and don't get me started on the set-up and take-down time. You walk on stage with a git and amp. Try having to move 8 different pieces, none of which can be attached until you are on stage.

:D

3. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    I think the drummer. Because most bands and most songs have the same exact beat going on. It must be so hard to keep concentration. Keeping the beat at exactly the same pace through a whole song. Then it gets to the really crazy Progressive/Jazz sorta stuff and they've gotta do really complex beats whilst still keeping the whole band in time.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    waaaaah! i have the hardest job in the band! no, i have the hardest job in the band! no, i do! no, i do! wah wah freakin' waaaaah!

whatever your job is, just do it and quit complaining.

5. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I would like to amend my answer: The spouses of the band members. Because they have to suffer the trials and tribulations of band politics, while having no profit or loss on it. :)

6. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Feb 10, 2009
    In many cases but not all, I think the drummer has the toughest job. It's not due to the degree of difficulty or the pain of loading in and out, but the place a drummer sits within the social and psychological fabric of the band.

There is often a subtle disconnect or distance between melody and rhythm. In many but not all cases, while the rest of the band works at writing and arranging melody, the drummer is often left to add his interpretation of what fits, rather than being an equal in the creative process from the outset of a musical idea. I think this is the main reason that drummers seem to come and go more than other musicians in a group, and are often unfairly stereotyped as flakey or unreliable.

Likewise, it seems that I hear melodic players and singers refer to their drummer as a sort of separate entity, or like a piece of equipment. ("We have a great PA, AND a great drummer!") And for me, I think part of playing bass, is to serve both musically and socially as a bridge or liason between the drummer and the rest of the group.

7. Tricia

Tricia

May 13, 2010
    NH-USA
    I'll be a wiseguy and say.....a lead-singing bass player has the hardest job.:D