1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have the hardware. But lack the woodworking skills....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by NickyBass, Jul 23, 2007.

1. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Over the years, I've accumulated alot of parts. Some have been put to good use, some...not so much. Looking over my list, the dollar amount adds up. I could list them all for sale, but I figured, I should use them for a custom bass.

I was hoping someone could give me some advise on how to go about this...maybe someone has a project that they started, but never put on the finishing touches. Or maybe you've seen a good resource for distinct body styles. I would rather have a nice one off instrument than do the Warmoth thing. Also, I would prefer to have something that is almost finished so that I could use my parts and save money over going full custom.

Here's what I have to use:
    -Audere pre amp. 4 band eq. Passive and Z mode switches.
    -Hipshot bridge.
    -Hipshot UL tuners.
    -Nordstrand Big Single pups.

Here's what I'm hoping to turn it into:
    -4 string fretless.
    -Boutique styling--i.e. not a Fender clone. I have a nice Fender. I'd like something different.
    -Maybe neck through.

Other than that, I'm wide open.

2. theLimeyBrit

theLimeyBrit Used Register

Feb 3, 2006
    Longview, TX
    Warmoth *does* have a few non-Fenderish options available. Something like the Z-bass body with a figured top and/or a custom finish could end up looking very distinctive.

3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Check your pm's

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    These guys also do unusual bodies, routed for pups + neck etc. The site says they no longer sell bodies only, but maybe they'd do a finished body and neck minus hardware? I don't know if around here has any experience with them, I don't.
    http://www.mosesparrowbassguitars.com/BODYSTYLES.html

5. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Some good options so far...Thanks for the ideas.

I did see the non-Fender Warmoth bodies and considered that route.