I have the VX series Hartke

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dawgstring6, Apr 13, 2003.

1. I have the new VX series combo amo here. This VX series is the paper cones and it combined their popular 4x10 cabinet with the popular HA3500 Head.

This thing pumps out the bass, mid and treble as well as the aluminum cones. I really like the selection of solid state/tube choices. The low/high contour makes a whole nother area to explore, and the 1" high compression horn is phenomenal sounding for as small as it is.

I am in the experimental stage now getting used to the wide range of tonal possibilities. Does anyone have any experience with these yet? They are relatively new...

Here it is:
  2. squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    hmmm.. I've been eyeing the VX 4x10 lately... do you know how it sounds in comparison with their aluminum cone cabs? Their website didn't have frequency response specs, so I assumed that they weren't all that great.... Are you happy with it? And where did you get the VX+3500 combo? Their webpage doesn't seem to have it....:confused:
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    My local Sam Ash had one when I was in there last night. I think it was $599 or something like that...

Do a search for VX and see what other users have written.
  4. FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
    I I have this setup, not as a combo, but the 3500 head with the 4x10 VX cabinet. Definitely a different sound then the aluminum cones IMO, but one I prefer. I have had it for about 4 months and have been very pleased with the sound and performance. With the one cab it is pushing 240 watts (add a second 4ohm cab for the full 350) so it is plenty powerful for my needs. As for tonal possibilities, they are obviously numerous but to be honest; I found what I liked and haven't messed with it much since. I use the tube side only with the EQ in kind of a half smile, Low Pass at about -3, High Pass about -15. I play a Rick 4003 with flats and it sounds just right.

5. Good to hear good things about the VX series. When I created a couple threads a while back half the responses were pretty critical of them. I have a hartke 3500 sitting in my room right now that needs a cab, and when I went to samash, I plugged into a vx115 cab and it ruled, all the tone and volume I need for jazz, I didn't dare turn it past 5, and the EQ was pretty much as flat as possible and it sounded fantastic! that's an excelletn jazz rig right there, but I've heard of 2 situations where the 15" VX cab Starting leting out a burning odor and distorted. Why do I have a feeling these people cranked the EQ and wondered what the hell happened?;)

I may reconsider the vx15 hearing good things about the vx combos, and plus I hear they took some features off of the 3500 when they started making it as a combo. I'm stuck on the avatar 2x10 or Aguilar 1x12 right now if I can get the money. But I want a loud rig, and the vx 115 didnt seem very loud for a hard rock situation. Like I said, excellent tone, and enough volume for what I do, but to push it harder than I did would cause soemthing bad to happen, and I dont want to deal being wthout a cab for a month while its being 'repaired'; so why not spend he extra time save up for somethign reliable, like that aguilar.
  6. i have or had rather, the vx410, paired with the vx 115, run by the hartke 400, and the other day i pushed my vx115 just a little to hard the other day and blew the speaker :( , and i blew the vx410 a week ago to, they sounded great at low volumes, but since i had the EQ cranked when i turned the volume up ... they go boom, school boy error :meh:
  7. clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    i have a hartke vx410 for sale for 200 bucks. ipath_46@hotmail.com. if interested send me an email.
  8. I hate Hartke.

No offense to Hartke users.
  9. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    constructive, well thought out criticism there :rolleyes:
  10. Do you have a reason to post that comment here?
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like Hartke (oh, settle down). I had a 3500 in a combo with one 15 and one 5-inch speaker. It had great tone and was loud enough for me. There were rumors that the amp is too much for the speakers, and that audience members occasionally were maimed by shrapnel when the aluminum speakers let go. I never had a problem, and neither has the guy who bought it from me. He's now using the head with an Eden D-212XLT (which I also sold him). That rules.

Of course, I bought Eden stuff with the money I got from the sale of the Hartke.
  12. todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have the vx3500 and I like it a lot. great sound and all but right now I'm having a problem.

When I play high notes I can hear it ring. It's very annoying.
    Today I discovered that if I turn the Pre-Amp A (tube) control to 0 it reduces a lot of that ring.
    To give you a better description it sounds almost as if there was a set of keys inside the amp
    and when you play it loud they rattle.
    Any thoughts?
  13. You probably need to replace the tube. It's not a tube simulator, its actually a real tube in there, so it's not a surprise that it'd need to be replaced. People with old vintage tube heads change their tubes very often, but I'm not a techie so I really dont know

I've got the head and I love it. I use it with an Avatar CB115 and a Peavey TX-410. Its a kickass rig.
  14. As far as I know, there is only one 12ax-7 (preamp) tube and they should last a long, long time (i.e. years) before needing to be replaced.
  15. Check and make sure the preamp tube is seated all the way! If so, then replace it, they should last for years though!

16. Keech

Oct 16, 2003
    All in your head
    I have a Hartke HA2000 combo. 200 watts, 15" aluminum speaker, active and passive inputs, transistor and tube pre-amps that can be mixed, 10-band graphic EQ that can be by-passed, compressor and master volume.

Not too shabby for a combo.
  17. pineapple

Oct 16, 2003
    lexington, ky
    i'm glad to hear that hartke is getting a decent review here...i ran into a head and 120W cabinet at my music store the other day in my price range, so i'm thinking about picking it up next month or so.