1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have the WORST luck with amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkybass, Jun 4, 2012.

1. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    First my Hartke lh1000 craps out on me, now my ampeg svt 7 pro. I was playing outside tonight and the amp starts cutting in and out, then completely shuts off. I check the fuse, and of course it has a white sleeve around it so I can't tell. I switch the 10 amp 250 volt fuse with the 6 amp 250 fuse from my practice amp and it still won't turn on. Would 4 amps make any difference? What else could it be? I live in a small town with no good repair shop.

2. Hmm, I don’t know - if you were using the same cabinet with all the amps that died, maybe there is a problem with the cab?

3. Forget the voltage - it's the Amps that count.

If you blew a 10 Amp fuse, what makes you think it'll hold a small capacity 6 Amp version?

The smaller fuse may even be the wrong configuration : slo-blow verses standard standard short blow types.

Some fuses are designed to allow getting a first 'hit' and yet keep connected.

You're playing with your amp and it could cost you $$$$ if you keep it up.

Test the original fuse first with a meter and then if it's good, you've got a problem that a shop needs to see.

4. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    The amp from the head works fine with my practice amp.

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I don't know what that means.

I suggest replacing the fuse with a correct one - make sure whether a slo-blow is needed or not (see the manual, online if you don't have one).

If you're playing through the same cab, then double-check the rated impedance of that cab. Something seems wrong.

Also - if you're playing in the same place, is the power good? Any chance the outlet is wired incorrectly? These outlet polarity checkers are available at ACE Hardware and Home Depot, and will tell you if your outlet is wired incorrectly:

Outletpolaritychecker.jpg

6. You should always replace a bad fuse with the correct fuse - specified by the manufacture.

7. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    If I had one I would've, but no one had one in stock and I was in the middle of a gig. What I meant to say was the fuse from the head worked in my practice amp.

8. Then the fuse did not blow in the 7-Pro. You have bigger trouble than a blown fuse.

9. Blowing up two heads points at a problem other than the heads.

Is this all on the same gig that you blew both? ( bad power ?)
    Same speaker cable? ( shorting or bad )
    Cab could have bad connection too.
    How many cabs and what impedances? Maybe you are running 2ohm hard out and amps can't handle it?

10. Let me get this straight: you're gigging and don't have a meter and an AC Polarity Tester?

You're just asking for trouble not knowing what can kill your amp, you or someone else.

Don't be a minimalist player - go prepared for problems with spare fuses and enough gear to fix things the right way even at a gig.

Build up a gig-support kit in an aluminum case from Harbor Freight - cheap insurance.

11. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    It was two different locations. The cab is a 8 ohm Hartke hydrive. Same speakon cable.

12. Time inspect your speakon cable end's connections for looseness or stray wires.

13. Hartke will look after your lh1000, no problem at all.

14. Larry Hartke

Larry Hartke

Feb 27, 2010
    Hartke Systems
  15. Larry, from what I can glean, he has had two amps malfunction using the same cab and speakon cable.
    A LH1000 and a Ampeg 7-Pro into the same Hydrive 410 with the same speakon cable.

16. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    That's correct. My lh1000 blew fuses instantly, and got very hot when it stopped working. The ampeg just lost power altogether,

17. That sure sounds a lot like a short in the speakon cable!

18. yeah, the speakon cable or cab is most likely the problem.

19. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    I'll order a new speakon cable and hope I get the amoeg( or Hartke, which I like better) running.

20. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    The Hartke blew fuses as soon as I put a new one in, but I've used the ampeg 4 months without a problem. Could it still be a speakon cable problem?