Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have these 9V pickups that went funny

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Oreomeister365, Jun 11, 2004.

1. So...my amp was accasionally blanking out because the battery was almost out (I keep the pickups on active...my amp has a button to toggle them on/off). So I change the battery, and one of the wires (black one) broke off the part that held the battery. No big deal, just solder it back on. Well..after I soldered it on regardless of wether the pickups are active or not, whenever I do a pulloff on the E string (Its tuned to D, but I don't think that makes a difference in this situation) my amps makes a fairly audible fuzzy sound that was never there before. Could this be because I soldered the wire back wrong?

I have a Peavey Combo 115 200+ watt amp.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    For What It's Worth:

I think it's possible that a partial connection at the solder joint could produce something wierd like that. I've never messed with trying to solder a broken lead back to a battery clip. You can pick up a 3 pack from Radio Shack for like $2.50 and they actually seem to be better clips that come in a lot of basses.

3. thank you...but are you talking about purchasing new wires? or a new battery clip..

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    The battery clips come with wires attached. That may not be your problem but even if it's not, it's handy to have a few extra clips cause it's not uncommon for the wires to screw up since they get frequent handling. And anyplace you've had a known problem is always a priority for trouble-shooting.

5. thank you....any tips for replacing the wires? the insides of my bass are hard to get around (unless of course, there all like that)

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Since the battery has to be removed periodically, there should be some slack in the wires that feed the battery clip. You'll need enough room to get your hands in position to be able to strip about 1/4" of the plastic shield off the end of the battery clip wires once they're cut where they meet the clip. And you really need some shrink wrap to cover the soldered joints. You can get a pack in the electrical section of home depot for about $3 (I think it's the smallest size they sell). You'll have plenty of shrink wrap for future projects. Radio shack carries shrink wrap but it's a bunch of bastard sizes you never use. Cut a piece of shrink wrap abut an inch long and slip it over each wire and just solder the new clip wires to the old ones (same colors). Run the solder gun over the shrink wrap with it in place over the solder joints till it's snug enough not to move. Test the bass (keeping volume low) to check results. If everything works fine and the problem is resolved then your done. If it's not, at least you have a solid new clip installed that you needed to address anyway.

That's simples way I know of to replace the clip. Alternatively, you can break the solder joints where the current battery clip wires are attached and resolder the new clip wires in their place. If you've got a tight fit (or the Ibanez barrel type jacks that you can't insert from inside the control bay), that may present a problem. Replacing the whole clip including wires would be more ideal cause you'd have two less solder joints that are potential sources of future problems.