1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have this crazy idea.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowSide121, Dec 7, 2011.

1. LowSide121

LowSide121

Jul 7, 2011
    So i gotta say 2 things first. I'm a lefty and money is very tight.

A couple months ago i visited an old guitar shop and played a neck-thru spector 5 string. It was an older model, an Indonesian model or something along those lines. None the less it was one of the best basses i've played, plus it was very cheap.

The only problem was it was a righty.... :(

But i got this idea. What if i restrung it, adjusted the bridge and nut, and drilled a new hole for the strap peg.

Ideas? Problems with this? Suggestions?

Thanks.

2. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    You gotta do, what you gotta do.

3. Crazy? Lefties have been flipping right handed instruments for years.

Like you said - swap around the nut, re-string it, adjust the bridge for proper intonation and drill a new strap hole (although you may need to do some adjusting to keep it from being a neck diver) - and it should be good to play.

4. You wouldn't be the first.

5. eh. i wouldnt do that to any bass, really

6. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    You can always attach the strap at the nut like an acoustic guitar as well if you worry about the strap peg being a problem for resale.

7. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Yeah it's been done but not by anyone good, not by anyone famous, and certainly not on bass.

2567715571_c2a89d92bd_b.

Ken ;)

PS, looks like he had another idea yet on how to handle the strap.

8. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I got a better idea, you buy that spector, resell it for more than what you paid and buy a lefty? -- now THAT's crazy!~!

or just learn how to play inverted AND normal strung..no mods required :)
    30700_113966448643039_1122600621470.
    19043_10100240002589774_9335232_669.