1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I have to admit...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by shaolinwhat, Apr 14, 2009.

1. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    I have to admit that my views on strings over the years has been extremely ignorant. My view was always "if they're new and bright, they're good to go. End of story." Myself along with some members of other local bands get together every 6 months to do Queen covers. I'd always just went with my usual bright growly tone, but recently decided to make an effort to sound close to John Deacon by going with some flatwounds. I am LOVING it. Never thought I would do it, but I sure am glad I did. And I have to admit, the talkbass strings forum has gotten me to actually put some thought into my string choice. I'm looking forward to trying different brands and actually putting some thought into that aspect of my tone. small steps people, small steps...and thank you.

2. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
    Have you looked at Sundogue's "Confessions of a Flat wound Convert" thread yet? You should drop a posting of your experience in there, I know he'd appreciate it, and have comment for you!

3. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    No offence to Sundogue,but John Deacon used roundwounds. Mr. Deacon is another great example that it does not matter what strings you use,but how you use them. If flats work best for you,they work best for you.BTW,shaolinwhat,I am from Zanesville,Ohio. Steve

4. agreed to an extent...

Deacon's tone was low and thumpy and flats would work very well on a Queen cover.

JD used P-basses and plucked between the neck and the pickup...sounds rounder there

However,
    different strings DO respond differently to touch hence, it's important to have a liking towards a particular string to get the most from your playing.

also different string respond differently to slaps, pops, hammer-ons, slides etc...

not all strings are equal...

5. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    well regardless of if he used flats or rounds, from my experience flats got me one huge step closer to his tone. so they work for me.

6. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    Whatever strings work for you,thats what I'm saying. Steve