Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have to ask

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

What is GAS? I have been here for a few months and have been trying to figure what the hell it stands for (other than something that I put in my car or something that I have after eating at Taco Bell). :D :D :D

Thanks,

2. G.A.S. = Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

meaning you wanna buy stuff

hard

3. Quadzilla

Then I have had wayyyy too much GAS lately!!! Over the past 6 months I have bought:

2 - basses (Fender American P and a Washburn 2002 Hammerhead)

4 - heads (Hartke HA 3500, Hartke HA 7000, Dean Markley BA 400, and a Trace Elliot Commando)

4 - cabs (Laney 4x10, Avatar 4x10, Avatar 2x10, Avatar 1x15)

1 - Aphex Aureal Exciter model 102 c with Big Bottom

2 - effects pedals (Zoom 506II and DOD Bass 30)

1 - mic (Sure SM-58)

Other items/accesories

My wife is about to kill me!! Granted I have sold a couple of the above items, but I still have most of them....

4. He knew the answer already. He just needed an excuse to brag about all the equipment he has. ;)

5. GAS= when someone buys too much Avatar gear then trys to convince themselves and everyone else that it actually sounds good....
    :D

6. Quadzilla

That would be correct....

7. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    The thing not mentioned is, it's incurable. Once you've developed it you can put it in remission, but not cure it. It's destine to rear it's ugly head, again and again... ;)

8. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    The worst part is, you sometimes hock something wonderful to buy something inferior, then have to go to great lengths to get your old gear (or something equivalent to it) back. Arr, she be a cruel mistress.

9. Best not to fight it...embrace your true self...let it love you back...carress your wallet...spend that money; heck, isn't that the patrotic thing to do for you Yanks anyway? Might be considered subversive to keep all that money under your mattress?
    Honestly tho'...I have done some stupid ass things while "under the influence". Like, I sold my DOD filter pedal cause it didn;t sound like a Mutron (DUH) then promptly had to go out and buy another when I realized what a WICKED dub-tool it was. Ended up costing me like $250. But I am happy now. Really.
    :p

10. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW

LMAO! :D :p :D

11. Quadzilla

GAS would also be when someone thinks that they have to spend several hundreds (or thousands) on dollars of gear (such as one name brand cab) and firmly believes that nothing that's significantly less money can sound anywhere near as good (when they have not even heard the product they are bashing).

Seriously, I've heard and played (and owned) a lot of mid to high end cabs and beleive me (MANY others here share my opinion) that the Avatars sound damn good and better than many more exspensive cabs. Give them a listen before you comment. I literally just want everyone to know that they don't have to spend a fortune to get a good sound. I am not getting paid for my comments, and believe it or not, I am doing this out of the goodness of my heart.

When I find a bargan on quality gear (or anything for that matter) I try to let others know about it to allow them to save a few bucks as well. Hey, if Avatars were so crappy then all the people who have bought them here would be b1tching about them, but not a one of them are. That tells you that something is right about them other than the price.

If I could afford to buy 3 David Eden cabs (2 for my stack for practice/gigging and 1 for at home in the basement so I don't have to haul a cab to practice every week) I would buy them, but I'm not that rich. The Avatars allow me to have what I need without killing my wallet. Take a listen to one Mad Subwoofer and then get back to me....

Sorry to get so serious here, but Mad got a pretty good dig in on me. It would be one thing if I deserved it (for me being an a$$ or something) but I'm only trying to help the people here and save them some hard earned dough... Pisses me off a bit...

12. Gaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwddddddd..
    Lighten up pal! that was a :D at the end of my post not a :mad:
    jesus christ..
    :confused:

13. Quadzilla

Guess I should lighten up. Had a few beers (errr, more than a few) last night and then had to get up early, felt like crap and was growchy, then I read this thread again and went off. Feel like a dumbass now. Oh well that's life. I'm ok now that I've had my lithium/prozak/riddiline, etc cocktail...

14. Me too! No biggie...I like your avatar reviews? People tease me about my monster setup all the time. Guess just I am a sucker for attention 'cause it really doesn't bug me. Except at 3am load out and my bandmates are walking the other direction of course!
    GAS is fun....

15. hahaha that long post sure proved him right about the convincing people they actually sound good bit, even though it was a joke to begin with :p

Drake

16. I appreciate Quads' Avatar reviews..although, in the *big* picture, it is of course irrelavant whether he likes those and I like my EB's...whatever works best for the individual. I wouldn't think to put a whole lot of effort into convincing folks myself...no point. My Eb-MM's rock and I am super excited about them. For Quad, his Avatars float his boat. I wouldn't play something with such a steep freq. roll-off but who cares? I am comfortable with my position and if someone critisizes me for it then it's water off my back...irrelevant y'know?

17. Quadzilla

The 2x10 and the 4x10 do roll off a bit early but the 1x15 takes care of that for sure for me, especially when I have the 2 cabs bi-amped with the 1x15 getting everything below 80hz at the crossover and the 4x10 getting everything above 80 hz.... Works for me....

18. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    mad sub, u crack me up sometimes every now and then with your posts. I just thought i'd make the point that u'n I actually didn't end up spending a fortune on our cabs. u got your 2 eb 212's for 600 and i got my eb210 and eb 212 for 550. So i guess u and i took a nice dip in the bargain bin just like quad did. I guess all 3 of us should be happy that we got great sounding cabs without having to sell one of our kidneys, respectively. oh yeah, not to steal the thread, but madsub does that dbx subharmonic synthesizer really do wonders? How much a difference does it make?

19. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Quadzilla i would like to thank you for making my rig so much better. I play a GT-7 7 string... and i got a GK400 head and an SWR workingman's cab.... i thought my tone was decent until i got my Avatar 2x10 in. oh man that brightened my tone so much! i am playing a gig tomorow with just the 2x10 and the head... guitarist will play 2x12 combo... no drums... no PA support (only for vocals) unplugged style. ill let you know how the Avatar sounds by itslef later. thank you for saving me money! i would have gone and spent $400-$600 for a good 2x10, but the Avatar is awsome for only $240 to my doorstel

20. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Quadzilla i would like to thank you for making my rig so much better. I play a GT-7 7 string... and i got a GK400 head and an SWR workingman's cab.... i thought my tone was decent until i got my Avatar 2x10 in. oh man that brightened my tone so much! i am playing a gig tomorow with just the 2x10 and the head... guitarist will play 2x12 combo... no drums... no PA support (only for vocals) unplugged style. ill let you know how the Avatar sounds by itslef later. thank you for saving me money! i would have gone and spent $400-$600 for a good 2x10, but the Avatar is awsome for only $240 to my doorstep