Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have to be jinxed/CA-9 went bad

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Arthur U. Poon, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Ever since my trusty GK2000RB went haywire (my fault) and I decided to build a rackmount amp setup, I've had a string of bad luck.

At last weekend's gig my CA-9 started making an occasional audible crackling noise, and by the end of the gig the amp was going nuts. :mad: I bought this amp new about 5 months ago. I did quite a bit of troublshooting the following morning, but no luck. Now it's off to the repair shop for some warranty work.

Gentleman Jack Read was nice enough to take pity on me, he promptly shipped me a Stewart 2.1. I have tons of gigs coming up and the show must go on.

I don't have any past experiences with the Stewart 2.1; I've done a search. Some folks are very happy, some are very displeased. God I pray I'll end up happy with it. I think I'm due.

Please keep your fingers crossed for me!

- Art

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Sounds like you're due some major good luck; I am wishing you some anyway.

Sorry about the bad.

Are you trading the Crest in on the Stew?

Let us know your impressions of the 2.1 vs. CA9.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

What are you plugging in to? Check those outlets to make sure they're grounded!! If not, you're asking for trouble. Also make sure you have really good trouble free cables. A short can also cause you problems.

4. I had similar at home. It was a bad receptacle in my surge suppressor. I put it in a different one and no problem. Hope you amp is all right. Let us know what you think of the 2.1.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Arthur, sorry to hear about your string of bad luck. Please let us know what you think of the Stewart in comparison to the Crest. Good luck!

6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Man, I'm getting the same crackling, buzzing noise through the Stewart/Purity. I tried all sorts of different things. When I bypassed the Purity and plugged my Roscoe, passive P-Bass, and Spector straight into the Stewart, no problems. I went directly into the Crest, no problems either. I completely maxed both the Spector and Roscoe's preamps, but both amps stayed clean. I also tried the setup through my practically new Ampeg BXT410HL cab. With the Purity the noise was there, without out it (basses directly into the amps) no crackling, buzzing noise. I'm going to pick up some new cords and my SWR IOD preamp. It may very well be my Purity. I replaced it's 12AX7 and 12AU7 tubes, but no improvement.

I've emailed Jack Read to give me a call; he's the best. Somehow this will all get sorted out.

Impressions of both the Stewart and Crest bridged (ran separately, of course) through my Bergs without a preamp...WOW!

I've never ran my CA-9 bridged, my ears are still ringing.

Upon a glance, the Stewart packs a mean punch and it's super-lightweight. If the Crest turns out to be o.k., cool. But I'll regret sending the Stewart back. Nice amp.

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Arthur, you should give Lenny Tedesco at Crest a call. He's been doing Crest service for so long that he's like a walking database of troubleshooting and fixes. IIRC, the phone number is (201) 909-8700. Tell him I said hi!

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    you rock, bobby...

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Indeed! Very stand-up! :)

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Sorry, Arthur, I missed your last post before I wrote that.

Crackling and buzzing is often caused by a bad cable connection, perhaps on the shield, and often inside one of the connectors. Try swapping cables (good cables are inexpensive and you should always have a few spares).

11. Art, glad your SeeAyeNine is OK. Hope you get to the problem. If it is your Read, from what I hear Mr. Read will make it right, right away. I've got to try one of those babies.

12. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Thanks Bob and everyone. It's my Purity preamp; my SWR IOD works fine through the Crest. I'm sure it's probably soemthing really minor with the Purity. I've emailed Jack.

Bob, I talked with Lenny a few days back, he is a nice guy. You probably already know this, but Peavey is closing down Crest's NJ plant and moving everything to Mississippi. This will be happening over the next few weeks.

I asked Lenny if he was making the move down South; he said he was hoping to stay put. He's presently sending out resumes.

He told me he has been with Crest for 25 years. You gotta love "Corporate America". :(

I'll keep everyone posted on the Purity.
    - Art

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    I hadn't heard about the NJ operation closing, except continual rumors over recent years. That's too bad.

Lenny's one of the very few people left from when I was at Crest. I hope he does well; I'll have to see what contacts I have in that area that might need a good power amp technician.

14. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    I was kind of hoping you'd do that. :cool:

Thanks, Bob! :)

- Art

15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    O.K., everyone please go easy on me, I feel like a complete idiot. I shipped my Purity back to Jack Read, he quickly found out what my problem was. There was a bent piece of a 1/4" jack inside the chasis. When I told my wife about it, she said our 4 year old had told her our 2 year old had "pushed something into Daddy's amp". I guess it was a while ago and I wasn't told about it. :rollno:

Jack is shipping it back, ready to rock. I can't wait to get it back. It's been less than a week, I really miss the little guy. Jack's prompt service is fantastic. :)

From this point on, I'm keeping my rack covers on unless I'm using the amp. :eyebrow:

- Art

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Man, that story just gives me the willies! :rollno: I really need to get a nice big lock on the door to my music room to keep "prying hands" away...

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Maybe you could A/B 'em for us? :)

18. Ya, watch out for Grand Kids too... if you have em'
    My little Guys know better than to mess with Grampa's stuff.
    One time about four years ago I turn on my little practice system and the master on the mixer was turned all the way up....I found this out after I hit play on the CD I was learning some tunes on.. bout blew me off the seat! Rascals....

19. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    No, I shipped the Stewart back to Jack along with my Purity. I only tried it out for a couple of minutes. I was getting the same noise with the Stewart/Purity as I was getting from my Crest/Purity so once I checked out my cords and basses I boxed the Stewart back up.

My SWR preamp was at my drummer's house so I didn't really compare the Crest to the Stewart. I did however plug my bass directly into the Stewart and ran it through my Ampeg BXT410HL in bridge mode. I was getting "Turn it down!" and "You're too loud!" remarks from my wife and my 4 year old, which are generally good indications an amp has enough volume for me. :)

From what I saw the Stewart's a very nice amp and it would make a great lightweight setup. My new lightweight dream rig is a Purity/Stewart/Bergantino HT112/EX112 setup. :cool:

I want to again praise Jack for his support throughout all of this. He's a terrific guy to work with. He has a loyal customer in me. When I can afford another amp, I'm going to buy a Stewart 2.1 from him.

- Art

20. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    Big String,

Was this your Tripp Lite Isobar Ultra 4? I picked up one from CDW based on your recommendation?

Buzz