1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have to buy a 5 strings..Fender or Lakland?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lukiluk, Oct 15, 2013.

1. lukiluk

lukiluk

Oct 12, 2012
    Torino,Italy
    Hello to all
    I have to buy a 5 strings and the choice fell on Fender American Deluxe Jazz V 2013 and Lakland 55-02 with Lakland pickups or Bartolini pickups
    The Fender for his unmistakable sound and Lakland because he knows quite faithfully reproduce the jazz bass and stingray
    I need a bass comfortable,punchy, versatile,that cuts through the mix
    Another prerogative is that it must have the neck very comfortable and which allows low action
    Which do you recommend and why?
    I read somewhere that in the Lakland strings and re sol are lost in the mix
    Thanks to all!

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I've been wrestling with the exact same dilemma, but I'm torn between Valenti and Roscoe.....

3. ...oh, hey Phalex, how's things?

:ninja:

;)

4. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    The Lakland 55-02 is more Stingray than Jazz bass. My favorite Lakland is the passive 5 J copies.

I sold my 55-02 and then went for a Fender American Deluxe 5. I just could not justify the price of it. So I found a used Lakland passive 5 for under $800. Total steal. I pair it with different pre amps and I have a ton of versatility for under $1,000.

Strongly suggest you demo a Lakland DJ5 or Jo Osborne/5560 and then hunt for a used one of those to pair with a Sadowsky preamp.

The Laklands get extremely low action as well.

5. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Figure out if you want a 34" or 35" bass first.
    I played a lot of Laklands and only one Fender 5's before I laid out my cash.
    I do not like 35"s so it came down the the Fender or Sadowsky.
    My wallet decided on the Fender for me.

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I'm paying a visit to the Jive1 in about a month. I know he's got a few in stock. I need a 5er, but I haven't sold my wife on it yet. Chef's F hole Valenti makes me drool too, so........

7. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Of the two I'd go with Lakland but I'd be looking at a 55-AJ.

Attached Files:

8. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I have a hard time paying the price Lakland charges for their Indonesian made basses. To me, they just aren't worth it. I will say that I like Lakland's neck profile a bit better than Fenders. The lakland WILL NOT sound like a MM. Pickups not in the right spot.

I would go with the Fender. The Deluxes are some of the better basses Fender is making currently.

Pm'd you. :)

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Lakland tend to be really large basses and Skylines can be heavy. The full 35" scale, flat neck profile, and 19mm spacing at the bridge is very comfortable to me.

I think Fender neck profiles are comfortable too.
    18mm at the bridge works fine for me and I like the smaller body of the Fender Deluxe. For a pure Jazz, I would take a Fender Deluxe V. Between a Fender Jazz and a Lakland J-Bass, it just depends on what moves me.

10. lukiluk

lukiluk

Oct 12, 2012
    Torino,Italy
    I prefer 34" scale, but I had one Spector euro 5lx with scale 35 and even I thought it was smaller than the fender! But.. which Cut better? Is truth that lakland 55-02 d and g strings lost a little in the mix?

11. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    I don't quite understand this whole notion that some basses will sit in the mix while other basses do not. There are a number of factors involved in sitting in the mix including string type, the way you play, how well you play in the pocket with the drums, the skill of the recording engineer and so on... I have heard some guys using a $200 Squier bass guitar that sound phenomenal, & I have heard others using a $3500 Sadowsky bass that just never quite match with the recording. But I digress...

My personal preference with 5 strings is the Lakland, for a couple reasons. First, the neck definitely feels a lot more comfortable in my hands, but then again I do not have very large hands. Second, I prefer the balance of the smaller headstock with the 3 + 2 configuration of the Lakland.

All that being said, I also have to agree that I would not pay $1000 for a musical instrument that was made in Indonesia. I would however, spend a couple hundred dollars less for their Korean models which I feel personally are still a little superior...

12. lukiluk

lukiluk

Oct 12, 2012
    Torino,Italy
    To complicate my life .. What do you think about Mayones Jabba?

13. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Who cares what a Hutt puts on his sandwich?

14. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
    ^ now those will complicate your life.

15. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Huh? I could have bought an american Fender Deluxe and the Skyline I bought instead is just as quality. I'm trying to figure out where they are not worth it. I simply can not. Especially since I had both a MIA fender Jazz and a Skyline Jazz at the same time.

You can buy a used Skyline for less than a grand. I honestly have never heard anyone say the Indo Laklands are not good quality. Compare a Skyline for $1200 to a Fender American Deluxe for $1700 and please tell me where the quality falls off. The necks are very similar, both are graphite reinforced, hipshot tuners, low weight (mine is at least), quality pickups...I'm sorry I just don't get that statement unless you are trying to move product.

16. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Fender american deluxe Jazz V is the way to go

Noiseless 3 are probably from the very best Fender doublecoil generation
    Active three band (with on/off switch) equalizer works great even with former Noiseless generation, like on Reggie Hamilton standard Jazz
    The bass cuts like anythin' else, in both passive and active modes

You know? Once, Lakland bridge design was the deal maker, for me and a few others out there
    Present HiMass Vintage stringthru system and everdesirable
    34" scale I think solve the case (together with the fact that it's unbearable how Indo Skylines pretend to sell while, just for example, G&L Indo Tributes are 1/3 the price, twice the output and on par the quality)

Cheers,
    Wallace

Non sarai per caso gobbo?

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Fender stopped doing the dinky bodies on the Deluxe's years ago. They are all full size. The 35" scale on Laklands are really negligable, IMHO. I also prefer the neck profiles on Laklands. I tried to like the 55-02's but they are just not for me. I love the 55-60's (JO5's). Don't discount the 55-01's. Cheaper but only in the electronics. Change out the preamp and the bass is transformed. I love mine.

18. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    I'm right there with you man. My indo JO5 can easily hang with a Fender. I know because I have had them all in the same studio and tracked them against each other. I simply went for the best one in terms of play-ability because tonally they all were insanely close.

19. lukiluk

lukiluk

Oct 12, 2012
    Torino,Italy
    For Wallace.. Ma che gobbo e gobbo.. INTER!

20. lukiluk

lukiluk

Oct 12, 2012
    Torino,Italy
    And the playability is better in Lakland in your opinion?
    Which of the two allows lower action? This is fundamental for me .. In terms of sound I like both .. And for the supporters of the Lakland 55-02 .. better with bartolini or Lakland?