Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have to choose by tomorrow

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Phat Ham, May 6, 2004.

1. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    So I'm graduating from college in about a week, and have three options for what to do. First option is grad school. I probably won't do that though, since they didn't offer me any funding and I don't want to pay for it. I'm also kind of sick of school right now.

I also have two job offers on the table. One is in Alexandria, VA, and the other is in Westminster, MD. Alexandria is a happening place with lots of stuff to do, and a lot of my friends will be living in northern virginia. Westminster, well I know next to nothing about Westminster. It's about an hour north of DC and from what I gather it's just a little town. The job in Alexandria is offering a lot more money, but it's also a lot more expensive to live in Alexandria. Benefits packages are pretty similar. Now if it was just about money and location, I'd take the job in Alexandria in a heartbeat. But the job in Westminster is more intersting to me. I'm sure i'd be happy at either job, but all else being equal I would take the job in Westminster. So you see it's a tough call for me. To make things worse, I have to decide by tomorrow (Friday).

I guess what I'm asking is 1) If anyone knows anything about Westminster, MD, please share your thoughts on what it would be like to live there. And 2) If you have any advice on which job to take, please enlighten me.

2. IMO after reading your post it seems to me that you'd rather have the alexandria job.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    An hour drive out of DC means if you pick a place to live half way you can have a 30 minute drive to work and a 30 minute drive into the city. That sort of compromise is what a lot of folks living in large urban areas are used to.

Even if you move to the town where the job is, an hour drive to get into DC for social/cultural stuff isn't bad.

Good luck and congratulations on getting two job offers.

4. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Congrats on graduating. That in itself is a life accomplishment.

As you are starting your career, getting the right jobs on the resume is important as it will get you where you really want to be. Now that you have the degree, it's time to start paying your dues with the right jobs.

Wherever you settle, you will have friends. You will build a life for yourself wherever you go. While your good friends may be heading in one direction, your best friend in life might be waiting for you in a new town.

As to the mention of doing something you want to do, my advice is to do what you want to do. If you enjoy your work, you will excell at it.

You have a long way to go yet. The degree is your license to learn and get the practical to compliment the theory. Good luck.

bmc

5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    How far from Baltimore is Westminster?

I used to live in Alexandria for a little while some years back and I liked it. Nice and close to DC which has a happening scene.

As previously mentioned, I agree that you should choose which job you know you will be happiest at regardless of it's location.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Here's the thing though. The location will probably have a significant impact on how happy i am. If I work in a town where there's nothing to do, I'll have nothing to look forward to while I'm at work and nothing to do on weekends. I'm sure Westminster isn't that bad, but it probably doesn't compare to Alexandria. I also forgot to mention that I lived in Fairfax (right next to Alexandria) for about five years growing up, so I have some affection for it.

There's also the issue of money. The amount of money that the job in Alexandria is offering is a heck of a lot more than the Westminster job. Call me shallow, but money talks.

Basically what I'm saying is the job in Alexandria has everything going for it except the job itself. It's a cool job, but the job in Westminster is just a little bit cooler. I realize I have to make this decision for myself, but I'm trying to get advice from people who have experience in the real world. Does your job mean everything to you, or do things outside of your job have a significant impact on how happy you are?

Westminster is about an hour from Baltimore. It seems like it's about an hour from everything.

7. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

If it truly is a "heck of a lot more" money and only a "a little bit cooler" in how cool the job is then go with the money. If/when you go to get another job how much you are currently making factors into how much they will offer you. When I graduated all my offers were within 10% of each other so I didn't worry about the money.

I actually ended up going with the lowest offer because it was truly the coolest job - and was thousands of miles away in a small town where I knew noone. But I made friends, joined a band and had a good time.

One other option is to figure out how much more money the job in Westminster would have to pay you to make it your choice. Then give them the chance to make it worth your while. It can be uncomfortable to do but if you call and say "I'd really like to take the job you've offered, but my other offers are $xxx above yours and I can't ignore that difference - can we do anything about it?" they might make it worth your while. Just make sure the difference is really significant and know what it would take to make you take the job.

It's a complex decision with benefits, how good the company is to work for, how you like/dislike the manager you will be working for, pay, benefits, opportunities, location, etc.

And once you make your decision - go with it and don't look back. Life is way too short to worry past decisions (you can't change 'em anyway)

8. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Well, if the scene has a big impact on your happiness, then I say take the job in Alexandria. Westminster sounds like a small town. While there is nothing wrong with that, it sounds like you want to be around a busier area. Alexandria and DC certainly fit that description. Not to mention one of my all time favorite clubs to play....the 9:30!!!!!!

If location can help your happiness and you can still pay the bills, I say Alexandria.

Follow your heart and you will be fine. I know it is a cliche, but it is true.

Best of luck to you!

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Well I decided to go with the job in Alexandria. After weighing all of the factors (including what was brought up in this thread) I realized the Alexandria job is where I'll be happiest.

Of course now that I'm committed to a job I have to get ready for the real world. Argh.

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The job is just a source of (good) money. Sure, there is personal satisfaction I get from my job but I can think of other things I'd rather be doing for work but I'd make no money at them. No job lasts forever anyway...I've had to look for a new job six times in the 23 years since I graduated college.

I also chose where to live (near Boston) largely on the music scene. I knew I wanted to be playing a lot so wanted to live somewhere with a great music scene and plenty of work in my field (hi-tech) in case I needed to change jobs. I've been very happy with my decision.