Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have to confess

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jive1, Dec 19, 2005.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I haven't brought an amp to a gig in almost a year.

It's not that I don't have awesome cabs and amps, cuz I do. It's not that they're all too heavy to carry, because they're not. It's because I'm lazy and can get away with it.

When I play at church, an amp is provided for me. For club gigs, I use either my Radial JDI or SABDDI straight into the board, and have the bass come through the monitors. For larger outdoor gigs and festival, I play whatever amp they have there (usually GK and/or Hartke).

I get paid the same, whether I bring an amp or not. 9 out of 10 times, the audience doesn't even notice that I don't have an amp (unless there's a bassist present). Sure I miss out on having that killer tone on stage, but I also miss out on load-out. I set up for a gig in about 15 minutes, and tear down in 10. One trip to the car, with a bass slung on the shoulder laughing at all my fellow musicians lugging gear along the way.

I guess I love amps and cabs, and what they do. I just don't like hauling them.

2. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    check your private messages :) since u are so fortunate to not have to transport your gear.

3. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    I must confess, to me you sound a bit like a "singer", which doesnt necessarily bring out the best in a musician. :)

Nah, if it's working for you and you dislike the setup/loading that much, who is ANYONE to criticize.

for me, part of the fun is using my gear and also searching / getting a certain tone.

4. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Funny you mention that, as I had more opportunities to sing lead, my desire to carry gear diminished. Maybe there really is a lead singer syndrome? :D

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    What? You get your tone out of your fingers and not your gear?
    sacrilege on an Amp forum. :)

6. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    So, Jive, let me translate. You're telling me not to buy the Bergantinos I was going to get from you in 2006, and to just rely on my Radial JDI (which I purchased at Jivesound at a very reasonable price)?

Thanks, I guess you just saved me a whole bunch of money!

j/k

7. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Believe it or not, I used to play in a band where the singer truly believed the PA was his responsibility. He built it (2 huge EV cabs from plans he bought, 4-15" speakers on each side with horns on top), paid for it, and made sure he was in the thick of it when it got unloaded, set up, torn down, and loaded. He also owned the 24-channel board and amps.

He single-handedly blew away my preconceived notions of lead singers.

8. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    D@mn!!!

hangs head in shame

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Hey... since this thread isn't really about amps...well, in fact its about 'not amps'...shouldn't it be in the miscelaneous section?!?

;)

10. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Too bad I didn't talk to you before you got the DB750 and Whappo Jr. I would have saved you even more $$ ;)

11. bLASphEMER!!!!

12. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I'm with you, man. I'm only a couple of weeks in but I haven't hauled a bass cab in that time and it's been great. I'm playing with a smaller acoustic group (acoustic guitar, bass, flute/clarinet/sax and percussion) and going through the "PA" (and it's not much of a PA) sounds good and is less stuff to haul. Think "coffee house" size/style.

I do have to haul my rack as I'm providing the power amp for the PA but that brings along my preamp and someone else provides the "mains" (which we use turned around for rehearsal). I'm still providing the bulk of the PA (power amps, monitors, tiny mixer and cables (probably the heaviest thing is my bag of wire)) so I'm not saving much on equipment haulage for gigs but at least it all fits in the trunk.

13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I think this thread is perfect in amps

well jive, i think i speak for all of us here when i say you suck - :p - J/K

most of us probably wish we were you, certainly the ones who gig a lot.

Honestly, i think it's taking you too long. i set up and tear down in about 5 minutes, and that's with an amp, but my stuff is modular and compact. I'm not fortunate enough to play venues where the PA can do bass duty, and when it can, it ceertainly can't do monitor duty for me. Even so, my heaviest cab weighs 45# max, and none of my cabs are more than 18" wide. With even the tightest stages i find that i can squeeze in an 18" cab (or column of them) in just about anywhere.

14. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've been in the position to not take any amps. I always took a small head and 2x10 or 1x15 just in case an emergency arose, but I never once had to take them out of the car. I ran either the VBass or J-Retro stomp into the board, and it always worked like a charm. There's ALOT to be said for quiet stages, even in a rock setting. That said, I still love a nice tube amp running wide open! :D

15. Our other bassist (don't start...) hasn't used an amp in about 2 years either! he just arrives and says to the soundie: "cool, give me two lines with DIs please..." and somehow it always happens...!?

But then again, he's lucky enough that both his bass and acoustic electric with piezos can go straight in, and then he usually even gets his own monitor mix!

now that we've got our own engineer, he's got him carrying around a dual DI to every gig for him...

16. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    My rig is small but I take too many basses. Usually I use my NS EUB on most gigs but I always take my Metro as a back up just in case. With some of the artists I play for I bring my fretless as well. Therefore i need the Raven Labs MDB1 to switch basses quickly. If I had a better memory I wouldn't need a music stand. If I was younger I wouldn't need the stool to sit on for the EUB gigs. Too much crap for some gigs. Oh yeah guitar stand plus Gramma pad just in case.

17. surely the ultimate would be to have a small wireless set up at the FOH desk that ran a balanced line straight in...!!!

18. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dammm! I thought you were coming out of the closet ...
    ... and owning up to being the qintar [​IMG]

19. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I've seen your stuff, and can attest to that. Great rig!

20. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Nope, as you know the Qintar isn't an "in" topic as of late.