1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I have to Get Some Flat Wounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bluewine, Apr 5, 2009.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I am one of these old geezers that is getting back to serious playing again.

My guitar teacher had me sold on his dislike of flat wounds, he feels you should be able to get that sound from your fingers.

Last night I spoke with my life long friend of 50 years and guitarist.We started our first band in 1966, we were in the 6th grade.I told him about some of the basses I'm playing and he asked me what kind of strings I was using, I told him round wounds.

He said;

"Man do you remember what you use to play and how you got your sound, you gottah gets some flat wounds."

2. i am the same age as you my friend. I tried quite a few flatwound strings and I use the Thomastik flats on my 65 P bass. Only problem right now is the Euro/Dollar thing so thay are over $50 a set.

3. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Yeah, I told my friend that I should probably get the black ones I use to use.

He said those would hard to find.I guess things have changed.

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Black ones?

Tapewounds?

Shouldn't be much trouble.

5. Labella makes black tapewound strings. Very nice on my MTD 435

6. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
  7. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    A good teacher should teach you about theory, keeping time, technique and the like. A teacher should not impose his opinion on his idea of the right sound. That is up to the player and what he wants to say, what he hears in his head.

A teacher who tries to impose his idea of his sound onto a student is wrong, wrong, wrong.

8. I'm 17 and I have D'Addario Chromes on my Affinity Precision... I LOVE 'em! I know a lot of people say flats are for old geezers but this is one yung'un who loves flats. After I get my check from Uncle Sam I'm probably gonna order some Carvin flats (rebaged La Bellas :D) for my Affinity Jazz V. I'm the kind of bass player who doesn't want to sound like Geddy. Don't get me wrong, LOVE his tone, but it's just not for me... Flats!! Whoo. :hyper:

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    A good teacher should inspire above all else. Anybody can teach facts.

However, in this case if the teacher was any good he would've explained how each type of string gives a different type of sound and feel. But like you said he should not try to impose his opinion, rather explain his reasoning behind it which would allow his student to form his own opinion.

Instead of saying he hates flats and the student should too, he should have stated why he prefers rounds to flats, the differences between the two and offer reasons why his student might wish to choose one over the other. That gives the student something to think over and decide for himself.

The worst teachers are the ones who not only give just facts, but don't even give ALL the facts.

10. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I first tried flats at the suggestion of a fellow respected player. When I first put them on my P-bass I thought they sounded like crap......then I played them amplified with the band, and couldn't believe how warm my bass sat in the mix of a band setting.

11. I know it is all subjective....but trying flats is like trying "a car"....
    there are so many different ones.....different handling, feel, response and acceloration!

Find your ride Baby!