i have to make a tough choice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Apr 15, 2001.

1. this is my scenario, i want to upgrade to a bass with more than 4 strings right, i have been looking around and i dont know if i should go with an ibanez BTB406QM(6 string) or a warwick thumb bass with 5 or 6 strings. what is the price of the warwick 5? of the 6? which would you recommend. (i am not looking to spend over 2 grand. preferably much less than that.) tell me what you think please.

oh yea, happy easter!
  2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

'nuff said.
  3. If you don't mind waiting a few months for a custom bass from http://www.hanewinckelguitars.com/ , I'd say check them out. I have a Hanewinckel 7-string which kicks ass and I have a fretless 7-string on order.

If you're in a hurry then definitely get the Warwick. I prefer the Warwick Corvette series though.

- Dave
  4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Nate -

Give a look to the Peavey Cirrus series of basses, they easily fit into the description of what you're looking for, and in my opinion are better instruments than either of the ones you mentioned. Not to mention, considerably less expensive than Warwicks. In my opinion, they're the equal of many basses that sell for at least 2X the price. Don't let the Peavey name fool you!
  5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I think you should consider this: http://www.dpcustom.com
    For less money than the Warwick and maybe a little more than the Ibanez, you could have the bass of your dreams.
    Just design it, choose electronics and woods, pickups, finish. And you are done.
  6. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I will second that one. Give one a try--I bet you'll like it. I have had a Cirrus 5 for over a year and a half now, and I love it.

7. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    But if you already have it narrowed down to the choices you mentioned earlier, go with the Warwick.
  8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    What type of style do you use and what type of music? Bear in mind that most 4 string players can make the adjustment to 5 pretty easily. The transition to 6 can alter your technique.

I would advise against getting a low-end 6. get a better quality 5 unless or until you have a need to play guitar style up high soloing etc. I wasted some dough on a cheap Washburn six just to learn some Manring and more intricate tapping. That wouldn't get me a lot of gigs but it was a fun challenge.

I do like a Ken Smith 6-string though and I would work on one if I had the inkling. I tried the Cirrus fretless - very nice low density bass - better than that Ibanez.