Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have to quit my band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nate Dawg, May 14, 2003.

1. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    ...and I'm not happy about it.

I decided after 4 years of crappy grades that I don't enjoy my current major in college (mechanical engineering) and I need a change. So I'm going to be transferring to Middle Tennessee State University to major in Recording, which I've always been interested in. This means that I have to move down there within the next month or so and leave my current band.

Of all the bands I've been in, this one has been the most fun and the best sounding. I think with a little work we could get somewhere. However, I have to think about my future. My options are either:
    a) drop out of Michigan Tech, keep working part time at the paint store and hope that we can make something out of the band with the connections we have.
    b) move to TN, start a new major that I really enjoy, and probably start a new band.

I've pretty much decided on choice "b" already because I know that my future career is pretty damn important. I'm just torn because I know the other two guys in the band resent me for my choice. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I have a feeling that they won't be nearly as good without me on bass and keys, and I think they know it too. The thing is, we have some pretty good 'connections' in the indie rock scene, and I think we may be able to at least get a distribution deal with some work.

However, like my dad told me, I have to look out for myself and think about my future.

I guess I just needed to get this off my chest. I'm sure other people here have been in similar situations before where they had to leave a good situation out of necessity.

Thoughts?

2. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA
    thats tough man, good bands are hard to come by. good luck with whatever choice you make

3. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    good luck man..

sucks about the band though.

Where in Tennessee will you be moving?
    I live 20 miles outside of Memphis.

4. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Murfreesboro. Half-hour SE of Nashville.

5. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Well you gotta live, man. Question is, though, whaddaya live for?

6. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    That sucks Nate but sometimes a mans got to do what a mans got to do,:) you'll find new opportunity's in a new land.

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Tough call....I don't envy you your choice! Flip side of the coin is you've gotta look after No.1!! No one else will! Good luck with your move!:)

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    That's a 'B' alright. These kinda things happen, and they usually aren't very nice, but it's only rock 'n' roll. If you get to study a nice major and have loads of new possibilities for your music career.. I'd say it's worth it.

9. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    "So I'm going to be transferring to Middle Tennessee State University to major in Recording, which I've always been interested in."

Its very tough to leave a good band and all the friendships that you have made. In this case though, your statement above is the obvious answer. At your age choosing a careeer is very important, so it should be one that you truly like. I'm sure you will have no problem getting a new band together. Good Luck