I have too many basses, obviously I should therefore hang them all on the wall

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BearlyBass, Apr 23, 2024.

1. BearlyBass

BearlyBass Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    As a relatively new home owner, I’ve been prioritizing unmaking the poor decisions of owners past (*screams in diy plumbing nightmares*). Still, the summer is nearing and I’m ready to have a more functional office. I’d been avoiding putting up this String Swing wall rack until after I patched the walls and painted, but I realized I’d rather make any hole drilling mistakes before I make the walls pretty so here we are.

IMG_2325.jpeg

I need to do a significant culling of the collection, so I’ve used this as an opportunity to start organizing into three categories: Keep, Purgatory (aka undecided so hide them in the basement), and Sell. These pictured are all in the keep category. The wall is Pairsville, with a collection of things that have a pair of some sort (mostly different pickup or string differences), and the floor rack is my Gibson black hole lol.

Pilgrim, Don41_2, sheesh and 119 others like this.
  2. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I like that black Gibson rack.

3. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    Pretty sure there's a valid excuse for a 2-band Stingray to be had

4. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    I'm worried about the structural integrity of that wall-mounted rack...
    You ought to send me both of those Guilds to lighten the load, just to be on the safe side.

FRoss6788, emal, Dasgre0g and 25 others like this.
  5. Looks great.

What are you planning to do with the space beneath that guitar rack?

Kenova, five7 and oftenest like this.
  6. RGerhart

RGerhart Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2021
    Portland, OR
    I think you could still use some more basses in the "keep" category. I don't see any 5-strings in your collection.

lordradish and gg22 like this.
  7. Did your Longhorns misbehave?

8. (HGTB)

I'm waiting for the day we see someone's project involving tiling their ceiling with offset-mounted surplus basses to create coved overhead LED lighting.

Dasgre0g, MynameisMe and oftenest like this.
  9. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    I whole-heartedly agree, thus:
    BassWall.jpg

I’ve had some changes in the members since I took this, but the intention is the same.
    I work from home, and this is the background for my camera-based calls.

FRoss6788, Wito, MynameisMe and 16 others like this.
  10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

nice job on the wall! :thumbsup: nice collection(s) going there, and elsewhere, right? and it's great that you're doing an instrument sort!

i have too many, too! :bassist: i'm not sure what to do about it.....practice faster? :laugh: :roflmao:

BPE, oftenest and RustfeatherBass like this.
  11. Drooling over that Carvin fretless! How's she play?

hieronymous, oftenest and CTBassGuy like this.
  12. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile, ਵਿਦਿਆਰਥੀ Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Interesting pairing a ray with a ric, care to expound on that?

MrAB4003, Wyrdlow and oftenest like this.
  13. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    I am currently in the process of making my wall full of bass. What did you use for your wall rack? Do you have a link?

TonyP-, joeLowB and oftenest like this.
  14. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    I've had that one the longest of any of my basses; bought new in 1988. It's terrific and was my one and only for a long time. The ebony fingerboard is just so good. The Pedulla Buzz hanging next to it, though, is next level.

15. Markmann

Markmann

Jun 10, 2023
    Hanging is the solution for me because it beats pulling them out of the case every time you want to play one. You need a row of amps to go underneath.

16. bigdaddybass12

bigdaddybass12

Feb 26, 2021
    Earth
    yeah, maybe a little more tort pickguards!

Bighands Bill and oftenest like this.
  17. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    This is awesome! What is that rack on the wall? I need one of those in my life!

wintremute and oftenest like this.
  18. Cardsfan85

Cardsfan85

Apr 9, 2014
    Florida
    :drool::drool::drool::drool:

oftenest likes this.
  19. Low End Scum

Low End Scum Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2018
    Colorado
    +1 for also being curious about the rack. Congratulations on the home! I also am a first time owner that bought last May and have been thinking of doing this as well with my music room. Though I went about rectifying the previous inhabitants choices (chain smoking marlboro reds indoors and not taking care of the swamp cooler line leading to a burst and taking out a 3 foot by 3 foot square of the kitchen ceiling).

oftenest and wintremute like this.
  20. BearlyBass

BearlyBass Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    I like the way you think. One of those new retro 70s would do quite nicely if I could ever unload the extra Gibson basses I have in the sell pile…

The B301 and B302s are such perfect basses for me. The neck shape feels like home. These are sequential serial numbers, too! Reunited after thirty some odd years since leaving the factory together.

The upstairs needs to be rewired before I run amps in that room, but eventually my B15 and 400RB will live there.

Updates soon on where all the keepers are going to live. Pictured here were the “four string solid body basses that I’m keeping”. I’m not a huge five string guy, but I do have a surprisingly good Sterling Ray35 and a newly acquired fretless BB5000 for five string calls. My wife’s only thought when I sent her this pic was “but where will all my favorite short scale basses live”, which is why I never complain about her penchant for leaving the same Taylor song on repeat while she’s working.

They are in fact always misbehaving… that’s why we love them.

Absolutely. They are of course their own animals, but for my uses they’re always side by side when I’m thinking “I need a different growl or grind for this track.”

This beast from String Swing: https://www.stringswing.com/multi-guitar-wall-rack-for-10-guitars-sw10rl-k/