1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have use a Little Mark II tonight.. daisy chain two 8 ohms cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blah114, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    what kind of cabling is necessary to daisy two 8 ohms cabs together? Forgive the dumb question?

I have two Bergantino cabinets.. both with speakons and 1/4s..

shall I simply connect the 1/4s together? then connect the little mark's output to the top cab?

cab 1: EX112S
    Cab2: HT112

2. +1 You can do this a number of different ways. You can use the two outputs on the amp and run either a speakon cable to one cab and a 1/4" cable to the other cab. Or, you can use two 1/4" speaker cables (one to each cab) using the LMII's combo Speakon jack's 1/4" capability. Or (as you mention above), you can use one of the outputs of the amp into one of the cabs, and then the second 'input/output jack of that cab into the second cab.

All will give you the same parallel connection, resulting in a 4ohm nominal impedance to your amp.

And... that rig sounds REALLY good:)

3. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    will it sounds as good as my GEnz.. ? I doubt it.. Place your bets here..

BTW.. would you use speakons wherever possible? One speak on to Berg #1.. 2nd speak on between the two cabs.. that is my plan.. I really only wanted one cable from the Little Mark.. I am stunned the LMII does not have two speak on outputs.

4. The only advantage to speakons is they don't get ripped out if somone trips over your cord.

I'm curious to hear what you think about how the LMII compares to your Genz Benz. I've got a LMII and love it, but am thinking about a Shuttle 6.0 too in the near future.

5. Stunned? What's the big deal:smug: If that was important to you, why did you buy it? The $2,500 Walter Woods has NO speakon outputs:smug: The $1,500 Epifani 502 has only one speakon and no 1/4" at all.

You can use Speakons or 1/4", you won't hear any difference.

I greatly prefer the LMII to the Shuttle 6.0 (more even voicing, more transparent, louder without goosing the low mids to get there), but others prefer the brighter and punchier tone of the Shuttle 6.0. Both are great, just depends what you want.

6. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    I see your point.. but my point is for $600... the amp should have dual outputs of all types.. besides a mute switch. I just think these sorts of things are very basic..

7. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    I will let everyone know.. I don't expect much of a difference.. I am forced to use the LM II b/c of a problem I had with the Genz head.. which may end up being a fluke.. or a problem with a cable.. and nothing to do with a Genz head.. I might bring both heads to the show.. try both.. that will be interesting.. 1 set with markbass, 1 with Shuttle 6.0.. the last two with whichever.

8. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    1/4" plugs work with speakon, so there is no reason to have anything else...but it is a pretty minor detail that i got over as soon as i turned it on.

9. Sorry to keep pushing you back, but an amp that sounds like the LMII and cost only $599, and you are complaining about a mute switch:eek:.

This amp replaced my $2,500 Walter Woods, and I never looked back.

Again, the mute switch is an old topic, and for those that find one important, I understand that you might miss it. The new LMTube and the updated F1 (called the F500) both have mute switches. All MB heads except the LM line have dual multi use speakons. I'm not sure why the LMII does not have dual Speakons, but it's not an issue for most of us, since again daisy chaining cabs is literally identical to taking two separate cables out of the back of the amp.

Lot's of good stuff out there now in the micro category. It's pretty hard to not find the tone you want in one of these, whether it's Genz, MB, GK, TecAmp, AI, Walter Woods, EA, etc. They all have their strengths and they all sound different enough that most have a 'favorite' for one reason or the other.

Remember with the LMII that it's quite 'flat' when the tone controls are at noon and the filters are off. Start that way, and be careful with the VPF filter. The VPF filter is similar to that contour button on your Shuttle, but is variable, so you can dial in just a touch if you want to widen and smooth your tone a bit without totally scooping out your sound. With the Bergs, the amp set flat with just a touch of VPF (maybe 8 or 9 o'clock at the most) sounds just beautiful if you like it clean and relatively transparent. That's a nice match-up!

10. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Had a Walter Woods no speakons sounded great.
    Thunderfunk has speakons and 1/4" sounds great
    Rack set up has no speakons sounds great
    Shuttle 6.0 has only speakons and sounds great

Playing over 30 years and NEVER had a speaker cable pulled or shaken loose out of a cabinet or amp...

Don't worry.... Be Happy....

11. You are either very lucky or you don't play with a drummer! :)

Paul

12. Everyone should get used to using speakons. Less and less new amps are going to be issued with phone plugs especially anyone who wants to do business in Europe! Eventually phone type speaker cables will simply disappear.

Paul

13. This is wrong on so many levels. No you will not hear any difference using Speakons. No they can not be pulled out.

What they do is carry more current and higher voltages safely. They cannot short out your amplifier by being disconnected under load. They cannot short out your amplifier by touching any other grounded metal object. They are considerably more robust and will not break if you stand on them. If you are bridging they are the only connector you should be using.

Paul

14. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Let us know how the gig goes. Always interested to hear about the performance of the LMII.

15. I use both. Always 12 guage. Never had a problem with either.

16. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    ok; the show went fine..

I am amazed.. absolutely amazed by the little mark II..

I love the Shuttle 6.0..

I love the Markbass.. The guys in the band hands down prefer the markbass.. they said it was "fuller" more Ampegish.. more "rock.." I found I had a "flatter, fatter" sound with the Markbass.. the amps could not be any more different.. comparing the two is like comparing a Lamgorghini (sp) to a ferrari.. both are topnotch... I thought the Markbass got much louder... it filled the room up more than the shuttle did.. for Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Markbass just shined.. I had both amps' EQ set pretty much the same.. I got more low end, BY FAR, from the Markbass..

I got more a tube grindy sound, of course, from the Genz Benz.. I really like the Markbass.. it was the 1st time I had played through it.. I think the wattage of Markbass.. despite being lower-rated than the shuttle, blows the shuttle out of the water. for rock, I would rate the markbass ahead of the genz.. but new stuff is always more impressive. The drummer said my sound was far deeper.. and richer with the markbass.. I was surprised.. not having a mute switch really put me off..

I think either amp will be great for anyone.. I did not mean for this thread to compare the two.. they are both amazing products.. and no one.. I mean no one.. can touch Genz Benz's service.. seriously. except maybe Bergantino..

I was really stunned at the Markbass' sound.. it is "musical" in a way.. I cannot describe it.. it's flatter, fatter.. and yet retains midrange pristinely well.. I won't be buying a Markbass anytime soon, though.. as I have the genz benz.. I would think I liked the markbass just because it was new to my ears..

17. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have owned the shuttle 6 and currently own the LMII. Yes, the LMII kicks the pants off the GB in terms of volume... especially with an 8 ohm cab. And yes, the LMII does have much fatter, fuller lows. However, the shuttle probably cuts thru better. I love the sound of the shuttle with the para mids & mids set at 10:00 and the bass eq at 1:00. That kicks ass. When I get some more cash, after my Stambaugh is paid for, I'm seriously considering another shuttle 6. However, when initially deciding between the two the LMII won hands down for me because I dont like the over driven, grindy tone I get when I play with a pick with the GB. I might play 3 songs out of a whole gig with a pick, but it is necessary. I prefer the clean tone of the LMII for that reason. The shuttle max 6. looks very tempting to me because of the FET channel. Too pricey though.

Regarding the mute, I really wish the LMII had one. Currently I just use a korg 'pitchblack' tuner/mute pedal and that works fine. However, I would like to have everything integrated together in 2U rack, to save time and hassle (yes I'm picky) and I cant do that with as of yet.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    SEE?!? I say this all the time about the LMII and nobody believes me.

19. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Very cool. Thanks for the update. Real world reviews are just the best.

20. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    >the shuttle probably cuts thru better<

I'm missing something, here. You mean with the EQs flat?
    Cuz the LMII has perfectly serviceable EQ; I mean, you would never want to put the high mids or highs on full, you would cut thru _too_ much. What I'm saying is, you can cut through as much as you want with a LMII -- no?