1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have wiggle at the heel/body + cracks

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bass-desires, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Hey All, I have an old Epi Rockbass. I purchased it a while ago with some slight cracks at the neck/body joint, but figured I would never have a problem with them. Well I strung up the bass in BEAD a week ago, and after practice I noticed the cracks were longer and there is wiggle at the heel/body joint. I don't know if the BEAD setup contributed to this, but what steps would you guys recommend? :help:

I will post pictures after I get out of the shower....not that I am writing this in the shower......:rolleyes:

2. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
  3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Did you try tightening the neck screws?

4. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    (Shakes head) Damn, I was putting way to much thinking into that before my coffee. HAHA Thanks. :rollno:

View attachment 163474

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    don't palm that face just yet!

there's a good chance that you've got a typical problem with cheaper instruments, namely neck screws that thread into the body as well as the neck.

the far-east factory worker clamps the neck and body together, drills one hole all the way through both, and screws in the screw.

this keeps the screws from actually clamping the two pieces together, creating gaps and shifting around no matter how tight you crank them.

what should happen is that the screws slide through the body holes and thread into just the neck.

you may need to take it apart and drill out the body holes bigger so that the screws just slide through.