1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I haven't adjusted my truss in 2 years. Is this bad?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MistaMarko, Jan 27, 2008.

1. MistaMarko

MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to setting up my bass with anything involving the neck. I can do the electronics, bridge, and strings, but the only thing I don't know much about is the neck (bow, dive, tension, etc.) and the truss rod, and all that. Anyway I can check if I need an adjustment?

My neck has a very very slight bow, but I think that's normal...right?

2. treebranch13

treebranch13

Oct 31, 2007
    which way?

3. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Its really simple. This is taken from the Fender website:

4. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Some guys like relief and some guys don't. If you like the way it is then don't do anything. Not adjusting it won't harm the neck in any way.

5. Siegy

Siegy

Jun 28, 2007
    Central Neb.
    +1. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I haven't adjusted the truss rod on my '63 P in 10+ years. I'm not worried about it - still plays great. If it plays well and the action is good, don't mess with it.

7. Man, you are the lucky one!!:D I don't think I've ever owned a bass where I didn't have to tweak the truss at least once per month.. well, there were the early years ..

I don't think it will hurt anything to not periodically adjust the truss, unless the bass gets put away with a significant forward (or back) bow.. It's sometimes difficult to get the neck to come back into line.

Mag...

8. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    There you go.

9. MistaMarko

MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    I gotcha'. Thanks a ton.

10. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    That's right...

It was said that James Jamerson never tweaked the neck on the "Funk Machine", and it supposedly had a fairly nasty bow to it as a result.

Worked okay for him, I guess... ;)

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021