1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I Haven't Picked Up My Bass in 2 Weeks...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tycobb73, Jul 20, 2012.

1. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    except to do a church gig. My band is on hiatus as we find a new guitarist or wait until January for our old guitarist to honor a family committment. I have reached where I want to as a bass player. I am not great but I can step into any popular music situation and hold my own. This is all I ever aspired to be. I've been playing in the church band for so long that I literally looked at the list, knew them all and didn't spend one second practicing them on my own. Everytime I think about playing my bass it has no allure to me at the moment because I feel I have no goal to work towards.

So I decided I am going to learn keyboards. I am ok at one handed stuff and stuff where the hands work together but hand independence is going to be my sticking point. Then I thought I should brush up on my guitar skills too. I need to get a guitar. I havent yet though, due to monetary reasons. I need to sell some PA equipment first. My 7 year old air drums in the car so my wife and I said we were going to get him a set. Then I though "maybe I can learn drums too." Then I thought "Wouldn't it be cool if I played drums, bass, guitar and keys for the worship band in one set on different songs?"

Wonder if I can learn 3 instruments while treading water on a 4th. Like I said, I need a goal to work towards and rght now on bass I have none.

2. portlandguy

portlandguy

Feb 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    OK, good luck man

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I see no problem with learning more instruments. My suggestion would be to concentrate on one.

Another suggestion: Can you sing and play bass at the same time? Maybe focus on your vocal skills. Join a choir. Have your child join a choir.

As far as piano goes, how about learning to play all the tunes you know on it?

Make it fun for you and your son. :hyper:

Good luck.

4. BigRedBassPlayer

BigRedBassPlayer Supporting Member

I took a small hiatus from bass too. Wasn't because I was sick of it, I was just at a point where I wanted to kinda reset things in my life. So, I stopped for a couple months. Hardest thing was to look at the bass in the corner and have no urge to pick it up. But, once I did, haven't put it back down since. Almost like a new life on bass. And a heck of a lot better. Good luck!