Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I haven't ranted in a while... so here it goes.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Attention: Graduating LHS seniors who were in band.... Thanks for being total idiots!

Now, here is the backround:

Mr. Kuyper has been the band director at LHS since it opened 6 years ago. In six years, he has built it into the best program in the county. We are the progam to beat... We go to local comps, and we win. Plain and simple. Why? Because he puts together GREAT shows and knows his shizzle.

The adminstration does not really like him... well, the principal doesn't really like him. Why? I dunno. She fired Coach Van Horne who lead the LHS football team to an SEYL championship in its 2nd year. That just doesn't happen... She fired him because he used the circle of death in practice. (Everyone gets in a small circle, someone stands in the middle, coach calls a number, that person rushes the middle man, and the middle man better hope he is back up before the next # is called.)

So, shes an idiot who fires effective people... Van Horne is now the retention teacher, and he coaches the local AF2 team.

So, anyways....

The graduating seniors voted on drum majors and section leaders...

They elected 2 guys for drum major... one of which K-Dawg didn't want as drum major... So he explained to them why he did not want that person as a drum major, and asked them to vote again... They did with teh same result. So he through it all out, and placed the person he wanted in there.

A few of the seniors decided to cream their panties and complain to the administration because kuyper messed up "their program".

On top of that, the chick drum major last year couldn't conduct a toy train, so he stopped putting her on the podium midway through marching season... her mom pissed and moaned the the administration.

Then, during 2nd semester drumline, the snare captains mom complained about drumline practicing too much. (4 hours a day... fridays off. That four hours includes a class period.) That was effin stupid because it wasnt kuyper's fault her sissy-ass' son's schedule was so busy. He was also in a private drumline that practiced fairly often... thats why his freakin schedule seemed so busy... not because kuyper had to much practice.

So, now he has been demoted. All he can teach next year is exploring music (essentially music history) for 5 periods a day.

Band Director's have a lot of crap to deal with... Kuyper averaged 1-3 parental complaints a year. Considering he ran 2 concert bands, 2 exploring music classes, 2 jazz bands (both in the same period) and a drumline... Thats not really that bad. That is hundreds of kids he has to keep track of... Put any teacher in control of that many kids and he will undoubtedly get 1-3 complaints a year.

Bitchy parents... and seniors. I hate you all.

To the seniors:

IT IS NOT YOUR DIDDLY DARN DOODY PROGRAM ANYMORE! You lose that priviledge when you graduate. I'm going to be back next year. I'm going to be a senior. Its MY program. its KATIE'S program. Its NATHAN's program. It's DEMETRA'S program. It is Eric's program. It is NOT YOUR DING DONG DIDDLY PROGRAM.

How would I fix this thing? Well... since seniors don't have to worry about it anymore, they wouldn't get to vote on Dan Quayle at the end of the year. The juniors would vote on it. We are going to be the seniors. If we make crappy choices, let us deal with it. It isn't your business to care anymore.

Parents: Shut the hell up. If you have so many problems with the program, then pull your kid out of it. Hell, send him to the rival school. I don't give a rats ass. But don't get the guy that built the whole effing program demoted just because your a nut job.

Yay seniors! Thanks for screwing us other 250 kids over!

:scowl:

2. Wow, yall pick your own DM??? We have to try out and Mr.Garrett picks the best.

We are a small band but we always come out good in competitions with the bigger guns. We placed 6th in the state this year and we were only 67 people strong. Next year we will be 87. And were doing a Miles Davis song!!!!!!!!!!

But yeah, I understand your pain Mike, Mr. G gets alot of **** from our Drumcaptains mom and other moms who are way too.........sensitive.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    We were about that size this past year... Last year, we were 140 horns or something :p

Oh, your sig is wrong. He just says "Its the one that says bad mother ****er"

nothing pasrt that. :p

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Shouldn't this be in the "are american schools really that bad thread"? :p I feel for you Mike, Politics sucks!

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Look out, World! Money's on the rant!

brad cook

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    mike money. do any of the kdis in your school read this board?

7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yea that sucks when good teachers get axed. My band leader was horrible. Back then I only played drums, and not only did I have to play wearing leg braces, I was up against the other drummer who was born with a drumstick in his mouth (or up another part of his body). She was constantly shooting me down, telling me that "A drum machine can do better than your doing" or "Everybody and their brother has a drumset in their garage" to which I replied "but not all of them can play" to which she replied "exactly". Or her trying to convince me to play marimba because "that way I won't have to move anything. I can't expect people to always be around to help me move drums all my life"

:eyebrow:

Could she have been fired? Noooooooo...thank god she quit though.

8. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    Teenage angst has paid off well, but now I'm bored and old.

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I tried hard to have a Father but instead i have a Dad.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Mike

Have you given any thought to going into teaching after your college studys?.

11. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'm a teacher.

I don't discourage anyone from teaching, but I don't encourage them either. Many, many good people are choosing not to teach for all kinds of reasons. Dealing with clueless parents and administration is a big one. I do have a few parents that have issues, but my administration is good.

If teaching only involved teaching students and not dealing with all the other bull****, it would be one of the best careers out there.

Unfortunately, teaching has gone from being one of the most highly respected careers to being one of the least respected in this country.

12. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Very true. Alot of parents now have the attitude that it's the teacher's job to be the parent and teach the child and that they as a parent, have to do nothing. Alot feel that if the kid is failing or has problems, its the teacher's fault, not the parent's.

13. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I'm all for parents being involved in their child's academic and extracurricular life to a point. The way I see it, too many parents out ther are convinced their child is in some way a superstar. No, wait...THE SUPERSTAR. They heckle and harass coaches, teachers, school administrators, other parents, even some of the other kids in order to get their kid to the top of the heap. I was a concert pianist in my early double-digits, playing regional competitions and getting crappy scores because I would add stuff to classical pieces. No improvising allowed, this is classical music, and you cannot improve on the classics. This is not jazz. My teacher unenrolled me from a competition for it. I still had to go and listen to everyone else, but was not allowed to play. I complained to my folks, thinking they would force the issue. They did not, instead explaining to me that my teacher knew best, and they would respect and uphold his decisions. I thought it was bizarre at the time, the next day my teacher explained why. I was too much of an "anti-establishment free spirit" and did not belong at the level I had achieved. I was not going to play any more comps until I learned a few things. Now, being young and impressionable, I got my feelings hurt a little, but was back in the game for a very short time the next season. I had to practice my butt off and take a lot of heat if I came to my lesson and added even one note. But I did better at listening to my instructor, and at not adding my own passages. Shortly after I was given the go-ahead to begin competing again (in the next bracket down!), I had a bicycle wreck and ended up in the hospital, paralyzed on the left side of my body. Brain surgery, the whole nine yards. I am grateful to be fully functional today, but was reminded of how far parenting has decayed since I was a youngster. Parents now think they can push for everything, think they can sue to get their kids to the top of their team, class, or whatever...it's become more about parents living vicariously through their kids. More about them pushing for the system to give their kids the recognition they themselves weren't good enough to get on their own. The ones in school that were truly successful at whatever, be it music, sports, academia, are usually the parents that don't push their kids into things, but let them make their own way. The ones that bitch and moan the most are usually the ones who generally sucked in their day, I find.

And what's up with all the fights between parents in the stands? I see in the news quite frequently about some jacka$$ in the stands beatin up either another parent, or an official at some little-league game...and usually you hear some follow-up about how said parent was "overcompensating"...??? ***???