I heard Continuum with vocals?!?!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Jun 2, 2004.

1. I was sitting in Chipotle (enjoying a burrito as big as my face), when on the Muzak, I heard Continuum. (The coolest part is that my wife looked at me at about the time I looked up, and she said "isn't that Jaco?" and she usually hates my music! Very cool!) Anyway, there were female vocals, and I couldn't make them out.

I am hoping someone knows what I am referring to. I would love to hear the song without the cicada-like buzz of people devouring burrito's.
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I was at a Perkins once and I heard a different version, I didn't hear vocals, but it was the tail end of the song. It was definatly a remake though.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Victor Bailey has done a vocal version of Continuum on his album "Low Blow" - Brain Bromberg also covers it on his album "Portrait of Jaco".

Of course the Word of Mouth Big Band also do a version on the tribute album with Jimmy Haslip playing bass - they played this tune live and there are many live versions about - all instrumentals though!
  4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've heard the Victor Bailey version - his lyrics are a tribute to the effect Jaco had on his own development as a bassist. As I recall, it worked pretty well, although it's only the original cut that I've got in my collection.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Elaborate. You are sure they were female vocals and not keys or something of that nature. You couldn't make them out lyrically or hear them that clearly.

Also, adding lyrics to an instrumental that isn't yours would be kinda lame.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see that Victor Bailey did a vocal version.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

I don't know - it seems fairly common in Jazz. So - I've heard lyrics added to loads of Jazz originals that didn't have them - like Horace Silver's Song for my Father, Nica's Dream - Moanin' from the famous Art Blakey's band - I'm not sure whether Caravan was originally written with lyrics as well ?

And loads of others....
  7. When I say I couldn't make it out, I mean I couldn't tell who it was. It was definitely not Victor Bailey's version. I think I have every version of Continuum, and I had never heard this one. It was definitely more poppy/smooth jazzy in nature if that makes sense. I don't really know what was going on. I thought it was cool though.

Song currently playing on my iTunes:
    Christian McBride
    from the album Sci-Fi
  8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I was at an up-scale Sushi restaurant last october and as we were sitting waiting for our order, I heard a little bit of the music playing and I was like "yeesh, this is some vapid smooth jazz if I've ever heard it"

then...I listened a little more carefully, and it was Brian Bromberg's version of 'the chicken'!

haha, and to think, I dug that track when I got the album.
  9. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    ive heard swv's tune with the portrait of tracy melody, but thats the only jaco tune ive heard with female vocals. i thought v. bailey's vocal take on continuum was pretty wack. i skip that track when ever i listen to that cd.
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - I was tempted to buy that - but then I read reviews about how he was playing with people associated with the "Smooth Jazz" scene.....:meh:
  11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, there are some good cuts on the album, and bromberg is a great player, but, yeah, the overall vibe is very "adult contemporary" ;)

and I think a lot of jaco's compositional energy is lost in the over polished studio perfect album.
  12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Check out this page. If it ain't there, it ain't anywhere!
  13. I wonder if there is a version with Mary Pastorius singing it with her band or some tribute? Could be the Scott Henderson 'Tore Down House' with Thelma Houston singing. I'll try to dig out my copy and check it.
  14. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have a Jon Hendricks cut of "Freddie the Freeloader" that has Hendricks and his vocal group putting lyrics to all of Trane, Miles, Kelly and Cannonball's solos note for note.... As with Mile's original title intention, the whole song is now literally about a guy named Freddie and how he tries to mooch booze and money off of people. Kind of funny, yet exhausting to listen to. :)

As far as the Jaco piece..I have no idea who would be singing it. :meh:
  15. supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Joni Mitchell's Mingus -- feat. Jaco his own self.
  16. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I do like Manhattan Transfer's version of Weather Report's 'Birdland' - very clever! Check it out.