I heard Flatwounds were good for Dub reggae........

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RickJames, Mar 11, 2004.

1. RickJames

Mar 2, 2004
    but i'm not diggin em. bought a pair of fenders yesterday for my p bass, they just seem a little too dead for me.....any suggestions on some good roundwounds that will give a good deep tone for a p bass?
  2. Are you plucking the strings at the edge of the neck? Also it helps to put your signal through an envelope filter (with low sensitivity so the filter doesn't actually open up).
  3. RickJames

Mar 2, 2004
    I pluck strings at the end of the neck, tone all the way down, it's really deep, but it's a little too dense and dull for my liking. It sounds deep and pretty good, but it's just not "it" i guess. I've produced good Dub tones on roundwound strings, i know how to pick to get the sound, lot of times w/roundwounds i would use the meat of my thumb to do simpler basslines and that sounded awesome. i had just never tried flatwounds, but it doesn't seem to be my slice of pie.
  4. Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    i use Labella deep talkin rounds on my ibanez, and they give a really good thunk to the sound, with just enough mid and top. i'll probably be putting them on my new ray as soon as these strings die, or maybe try some flats. but i'll only do that when i have the money to buy a decent set of rounds if i hate the sound of flats!
  5. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Play with your thumb and palm-mute. I use d'addario 's flat. They sound wonderful
  6. mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Then I guess if you were satisfied with rounds, you should switch back. Even with the minimal experience I've had with reggae, I thought playing so I get a deep tone on my Jazz with roundwounds sounded better than the flats. I like flats mainly for their pseudo-upright quality, or if I'm going for the motown thing.
  7. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    You might wanna try some groundwound/compression wound/half-ground strings. They go by a lot of different names but they are basically round wound strings that are ground down so that they feel and sound like flatwounds but still have some of the characteristics of round wound strings, i.e., some of the brightness remains. I've been using a set of D'addario compression wound strings and I really like the sound of them.