Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I heard Stevie Wonder's new album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by chilliwilli, Oct 9, 2005.

1. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    they played the whole thing on the radio the other day on Hot 105.1 FM down here in Florida.

I'm definately going to buy it on the 18th. Two singles have alreayd been released as im sure you all know, but the rest of tui is even better

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The only new stevie I've heard lately was his katrina relief song on iTunes. I really liked it.

Now I'm listening to 30 second clips of the new album on iTunes. I dig it. I'll probably buy it. iTunes says it has been out since sept. 27th

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I bought it shortly after my post. I have had some time with it, and I must say. It is a great album!!

Some of the songs are a little shallow at times, but by and large, they are all very groovy, clever, soulful and fun. There are some very funky tracks, some very slick production(the new sound of motown), lots of nice harmony and melodies, good lyrics all around, groovy. Enjoyable.

Good stuff.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Not out here yet - but I've got it on order from Amazon! :)

5. I've heard most songs from the new album, and as a hardcore wonder-fan I have to say I'm very happy about the record. It's way better than the last few records he's done, with a lot of real instruments, great production and some killer material. Not every song is a classic but songs like "Shelter in the rain", "Moon Blue" and "Can't imagine love without you" show (to me at least) he's still a melodic genius: His melodies are incredibly catchy and he puts enough harmonic interesting things under it to keep if from getting too middle of the road.
    Also, the songs that don't sound like 'hits' to me (ironically the first single So what the fuzz is one of them) sound a lot better in the context of the album.
    Highly recommended!