1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I heard that cliff burton...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by cliffbass, Oct 23, 2009.

1. cliffbass

cliffbass

Aug 10, 2009
    cliffbass
    Played with a pick on kill em all album is this true?
    I think yes cuz when i hear the guitar hero's bass tracks i can understand this is a pick.
    Anyway i got this info from a true skilled bass player but i don't believe cuz i can see in old footages before he went to metallica. Before metallica he was playing at trauma btw when i said this to the skilled bass player he told me that he wasn't feeling comfortable at kill em all and he put his ass down to learn with fingers

I am starting believing this cuz his style changed a lot after kill em all

2. Well "Kill em' All" was heavily influenced by punk rock so I can probably understand Cliff using a pick to get that punk sound. If you hear the bass track I'm sure you'll notice there's a lot of attack and power behind his playing so its very much possible he was picking at the time.

Cliff wasn't a one-dimensional player, that's for certain. He was always evolving his style and trying something new on each album. I think that's what made him such a great bassist...the fact that he went beyond a single style and wasn't scared to experiment a little bit especially being in a heavy metal band during the 80's.

3. I'd be surprised if Cliff played with a pick. I've never seen a single video of him using a pick, so that's what I'm going on. On the Cliff 'Em All video, there are several clips of them playing right around when Kill 'Em All came out in '83, and Cliff was definitely playing with fingers at that point.

4. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    Listen to the master tracks on youtube, that is pure fingers. Cliff never recorded with a pick, nor do I think he ever played live with a pick. Amazing stamina he had!

5. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Well it HAS to be true then if Guitar Hero sounds like that!:eyebrow:

6. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    guitar hero tracks are all re-recorded.

7. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    You might want to ask TB'er "Funkytoe", IIRC he knew Cliff personally in his pre-metallica early-metallica eras.

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Cliff was completely a fingers player. After reading numerous biographical books on Metallica and watching countless early bootlegs of their early years I would say within 99% certainty he never used a pick. It would of been mentioned somewhere or he would of used a pick live in some of those early vids.

Besides, if he did in fact use a pick in those early bass recordings(here comes the flaming) then he had some very sloppy technique. I`m basing this off of the isolated bass tracks I`ve listened to on youtube.

9. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I base all my opinions on musicianship only after I study ones work through the media format that is guitar hero.

10. cliffbass

cliffbass

Aug 10, 2009
    cliffbass
    yeah i believed he played with pick on kill em all cuz i can hear the damn pick why he wasn't sloppy in kill em all and became in rlt and mop .... search in youtube seek and destroy bass track and other bass tracks on kill em all you will understand especialy on hit the lights bass track

11. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
    wronnnnnnnnnng!

as far as i know cliff never recorded with a pick.

12. cliffbass

cliffbass

Aug 10, 2009
    cliffbass
    so we w8 for someone who is pro at hearing the bass tracks at kill em all

13. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    Be careful on taking a strong stance on something you aren't positive about. :rollno:

Read an interview about the guy that re-records the guitar for the game.

They strive to make it sound as close as they can to the original.

14. I thought this was debated before???
    from previous things I thought it was all the ric/flats/not very much distortion... much preferred that tone...

you can tell that alot of his later tracks are distorted and growly and mmm I don't like them by themselves :( but they did work in the mix when you can hear him... kill em all youtube stuff below

sounds like fingers to me

15. I don't think he used a pick. At least not for all the tracks.

I watched an audition documentary on youtube when Robert Trujillio successfully tried out for the band.
    Kirk Hammitt was thrilled with the audition and said something like "did you see how fast his fingers moved (referring to his right hand)? NO ONE has played hit the lights like that since Cliff".

Anesthesia sounds finger picked to me. Although the distortion might have muffled the pick sound.

Check out the video. Start at 5:45ish.

16. Addison

Addison This time, I didn't forget the gravy. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Bismarck, ND
    I'm not going to drop any names or tell you why I know this information or whatever, but I can tell you that he never recorded anything with a pick.

Ever.

17. That's a lie listen to the bass tracks on youtube and you can tell its with his fingers

18. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Everything that I have ever seen or heard about Cliff Burton, he uses his fingers. Which makes his speed that much more amazing, when you think about it...

19. cliffbass

cliffbass

Aug 10, 2009
    cliffbass
    so anyway i wanna hear more opinions

20. roccobladr

roccobladr

Aug 17, 2009
    pretty sure that ever since the third guitar hero, they have been using all original tracks. the second one had some re-recorded.