Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I heard the best guitarist I have ever heard

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tallguybcs, Mar 11, 2002.

1. I was at the GC, in the nice room, and I heard the best guitarist I have ever heard, he was amazing. He was playing a doubleneck that he make himself, a les paul type on top and a douple fat strat type on the bottom (they didnt look like the formentioned guitars, but they sounded like them). He was amazing, playing Hendrix stuff (intricate stuff) flawlessly. He was playing the solo to Communication Breakdown, flawlessly. I was amazed at his technique, it looked odd. Then I noticed he wasnt using a pick!!! He played hendrix stuff (I forgot the name of the song, but I recognized it) with out a pick, and he got great tone too! I asked if he gave lessons, and he said that he used to, and that he was getting back into playing guitar, so hes gonna teach me a few things. This will help so much to improve my terible guitaring.

Honestly, however good you think this guy could be, multiply it by ten, Im not even kidding.

2. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    finger style is usually a sign of great musical talent, why do you think us bassists do it :D

anyway, musthave been good if he was playing a doubleneck....:rolleyes:

the greatest guitarist ive seen works at the local guitar shop, i go to school with his son. he used to play football for australia and he is a qualified pilot and computer technition blah blah blah.

later
    Lukas

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've noticed a lot of guitar players are going finger style nowadays. Or maybe they always have and I just haven't noticed.

Anyways, Lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac) plays all finger style and he's an awesome guitarist.

4. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink

Nov 30, 2000
    Belgium
    Don't forget Mark Knopfler :)

5. Or Leo Kottke.

I think he's a mutant. I have all his albums and the guy just blows my mind. If he ever took up bass I think I'd just hang mine up and walk away.

allan

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Jeff Beck does a lot of fingerpickin'.

7. Leo Kottke plays the six string bass. He's alright, but nothing special.

Nothing like his guitar playing.

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    my dad does fingerpicking almost all of the time. He barely ever does flat picking. He amazes me. He's almost good enough to be a bass player. :D

9. BehindTheMoon said...

Leo Kottke plays the six string bass. He's alright, but nothing special.

Nothing like his guitar playing.

Well, that's good to know.

I haven't heard him play bass and I have all his albums - I think. Do you know which album he plays bass on? I'd really like to hear it.

allan

10. Jimmy_K

Jimmy_K

Mar 2, 2002
    England UK
    The best guitarist I have ever heard had a funky afro...its all in the afro! Must attract gee-tar playing genius waves or something...I'm growing mine right now!:D

11. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    My friend Mike is one of the best guitar players I have ever seen or heard, he is great.

I also like Greg Howe.

12. Robbie Krieger of the Doors also played finger style geetar.

13. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    my favourite guitarist so far.
    I could say Mark is the first guitarist I ever heard (since age 0 practically) and I still like his staright, no frills, pristine sound and playing over a lot of the pyrotechnique wizs.

14. That's What, I think.

I agree, Kottke is definitely not human. :eek:

15. BehindTheMoon said...

That's What, I think.

I agree, Kottke is definitely not human. :eek:

I don't have that one - so I guess I don't have them all. Thanks for the tip - I'm gonna buy that one just to hear him play bass.

The man has about nine fingers on each hand, I think.

thanks -

allan