I heart my V-Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Dec 27, 2002.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Just wanted to share that with everyone. I think I've only spent a total of about 8 hours with the V-Bass thus far, so I've still got LOTS of learning to do, but boy, I sure do love this thing! So many wacky noises that I will probably never use, so many fantastic amp and bass simulations, so much control over all the effects and simulations. It's a wonderful thing, indeed.
  2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i love mine too.

such potential. i've used it on a few gigs with surprizing results.

it takes some time getting the sounds to behave.

but, when you dial it in, WHAMMO!

i've been a Roland V-Guitar fanatic for years.

had the GR700 in the 80's and the VG8 more recently!

and with my Lightwave driving the VBass, WOWZERS!

welcome to the club!

show us the bass your using!

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I'd love to try out one of those lightwaves hardwired to the GK-2B pod-thingy. Sure would take care of alot of clutter on the bass.
    Right now the pickup in on my Jazz, but I think I'm gonna put that one on my ATK305, and get another that will either go on another Jazz or the Roscoe. I wanna have the pickup on a 4 and a 5. You've had some experience with the thing...do you see of any reason why I might run into a problem mounting the GK-2B on the metal plate that is the bridge of the ATK? I just want to make sure it will be cool before I actually do it. Whenever I do get it done, I'll be sure to throw up some pics. Was just talking to Xush about this a little while ago.
  4. I tried one few weeks ago in Germany.. the sound was least to say ' impressive '. but the think that bothers me is the cable.. expensive stuff :(
  5. pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    I'm just really starting to appreciate my V-Bass also. It sure does have some awesome sounds,
    and I feel like I'm just scratching the surface of what it can do. The filters are a little weak I think.
    I hope it's just cause I havn't tweaked them the right way, but so far, they are the only thing I'm
    unhappy about...............
  6. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    yeah Adron, I went the '2 GK' route so I could have a fretted and a fretless at my disposal. I guess you'd know that now, wouldn't ya?

I really like using a fretless w/ the V. Anybody else doing that? Besides ole F'ey, that is... :)

Since we lost our guitarist I'm trying to set up some patches where I split an octave-up signal w/ the direct bass and pan them stereo. Haven't quite figured it out yet, but still working.

Want to send pitch-shifted/distorted sig to Mesa amp, direct bass to AMP amp.

Do we have a V bass forum anywhere yet?
  7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Originally posted by xush:
    Do we have a V bass forum anywhere yet?

There is V-bass group at Yahoo groups (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vbass/) but it's not overly active. I guess there are too few owners to create a forum here.
  8. I'm not sure what to think of the unit yet.....
    I'm still awaiting the certified Roland tech to diagose my Gk-2B situation. No doubt the unit has a ton of potential and I'd love to give it more of an indepth whirl.

I will say that before I sent the unit out for diagnosis/repair that i did set up a patch which used the wah guitar patch and had my bass running thru the eq section so that it came out right at the end of effects chain. I also added a 50ms delay to the wah guitar so when combined w/ my bass tone, i had a grindy sounding guitar w/ a thick bass low end. I used this once when trying to double my bass notes w/ a guitar ( used on ZZ tops La grange when the bass and 1 guitar play the 1-4-5, and the second guitar plays the lead.) We don't have a second guitar in the band. The patch sounded okay, but it was definately not 1 guitar and 1 bass sounding, it was more of a bass bottom heavy sounding guitar

The Yahoo V-bass group is not very active