1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Heart NYC

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by brandau, Jun 14, 2012.

1. brandau

brandau

Jan 30, 2008
    NYC
    So, my wife and I moved to Manhattan almost exactly 2 years ago... It's been the hardest most rewarding experience of my life. I've played some amazing music and met so many great people and musicians. I love living in the city. You never know what lies around the next corner. There are things that happen here that don't happen anywhere else...

For example, my wife's friend manages a restaurant in Bklyn. Her husband is a great drummer and put together a little blues trio to play the bar once a week... We went last night, and as soon as I walked in I instantly noticed how great the band was. The bass player immediately looked familiar and was playing an old beat up pbass... After about one second I realized it was Andy Hess! On their break the drummer introduced me as a bass player...super friendly guys. On their last song of the night Andy looks over at me and holds up his bass...wanna play one?! Hell Yeah! It was great to play with the band but also to play Andy's bass:) 1963 stock P that he's played with prob anyone you can think of...

This is why I love NY! Only here can you walk into a random bar on a random night and the bar band are some of the best player in the...world?!

2. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    +1 Cool story, bro. One of my favorite cities.

3. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    NYC is a cool place to play. I'll be there with my duo partner, Ron Anthony, on Monday ... we'll be doing a set at 116 Macdougal St. (the old Village Gaslight) some time between 8 and 10. Makes me wish I could turn back time!

4. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    Glad you are enjoying the greatest city in the world but please tell us, where is this restaurant? NY needs more Blues.

5. brandau

brandau

Jan 30, 2008
    NYC
    The restaurant is called Betto and is in Williamsburg... They've been having music kinda sporadically. It's prob worth calling them from time to time to see when the next one is...