1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I helped find a Stolen Bass on Accident

Discussion in 'Lost & Stolen Gear' started by Bjazzman, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    Well i was going to bid on a fantastic Pedulla Buzz Bass that ended today on Ebay. I called Pedulla the other day to make shure they can upgrade the electronics from a 3 knob to a 4 knob. They said it can be done. They called me back and asked where i found that bass. I asked why and they said it was possibly stolen. After the auction ended i emailed the winning bidder and told him it was stolen. He contacted Pedulla and the bass is in route to its original owner. I guess the guy who was selling it found it at a swap meet and knew what he had.

2. thats amazing... i would call the guy and be like " hows the bass " so how is everything.. you know maybe he will give you a reward strings maybe?

well i dont know but wow what a find

3. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Very cool, but it begs the answer to the question... Who ends up eating the cost on this deal. Is it the bid winner? Did he pay the seller then return the bass to Pedulla or the original owner gratis? Did Pedulla eat the cost and repay the winning bidder in exchange for the bass?

4. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    no i contacted the winning bidder right away. and before he paid he contacted pedulla and they confirmed that it was stolen. So i guess the seller has to eat the costs he put into it. Pedulla told me that the seller got it cheap at a swap meet and knew he could turn it around

5. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    So I guess the return of the bass would hinge on whether or not the seller decided to comply with Pedulla's request. If for example the seller bought it "legitmately" (not knowing it was stolen) and paid $1000+ on it, I doubt he would be so willing to return the bass and eat that cost.

6. So was the seller the one who stole the bass?

7. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    No, the OP didn't say that. I was just wondering (out loud) the cost of being a good samaritan. Example:

You purchase a "fantastic Pedulla Buzz Bass" from a local pawn shop for around $1000. You know it's worth more so you decide to flip it on eBay. It sells for $1500 (cool, you just made $500 profit). Then before the winner has paid for the bass you are contacted by Pedulla informing you that the bass you attempted to sell was stolen and they want it back to send it to it's rightful owner (They'll even be nice and pay for the shipping). Unless the original owner gives you a substantial reward for returning the bass, you're out a cool grand.

8. in which case, purchaser goes back to pawn shop and tells them that they sold a stolen item and they can check their records and locate the person pawning said item and turn them into the police, if the seller keeps said item then he/she is eligible for a receiving stolen property charge because they have been informed. in the end the person who purchased it from a pawn shop will see their money back.

9. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Just a little FYI: Posession of stolen property is a crime. Even if you didn't steal it and you purchased it from someone else (who may or may not be the one who stole it). That's why if you come across a sweet deal at a swap meet or pawn shop or out of the back of a van in a mall parking lot you should ask yourself the question, "Could this $1000 stereo, that some guy in a trenchcoat wants $75 for, possibly be stolen?" If you think the answer is yes, then don't buy it (just report it to the cops), because if the owner of the merchandise catches up to it when the hot potato is in your hands, you're going to be out some money and you'll at least have to sit through a nice, long interview with the police.

10. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    This is why, my friends, If I think I'm purchasing merchandise that may be stolen, I do not re-sell it. :D I would be very upset if I were the seller. Upset to the point of non-compliance.

11. Terrik

Terrik

Jul 21, 2007
    Alamo
    wow..

just speechless......

perhaps the answer should be "i report the mother****** to the cops"...

ya'know.. karma and all....

12. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    so the guy who's bass i helped find called me last week. he said that i helped recover not only his pedulla but also a sax, a telecaster and their band trailer.

Apparently they were playing a show in reno when a father and son team stole their trailer. It wound up in utah where they put some stuff for sale on ebay and a swap meet. The bass was on ebay that i was looking at. As soon as i called pedulla to ask them if they could upgrade the electronics they said not to buy it because it was stolen. The police investigated the swap meet and traced back to their place the items missing.

I feel great that i could be a part in this recovery :hyper:

13. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Very cool, bro.