I helped save a life today.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cassanova, Mar 1, 2006.

1. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    So I wake up this morning and shove off to class thinking its just another ordinary day, ya know? When enroute to school, I see a nasty car accident with a man trying to flag down traffic and a limp body laying in the road.

To make a long story short, the limp body in the road wasnt breathing, so I began CPR on him and kept it going until the paramedics arrived. I never really thought that I'd need to use CPR outside of a hospital environment. But I tell ya, I was really glad I knew it this morning. If you don't know it, I suggest ya take a course in it. You never know when it might come in handy.

I felt very weird when I walked into my class late. My shirt had blood on it, my hair was a mess, and i was a big sweaty pig. So now my professor is going to talk to the dean and see and try to get me some special recognition for what I did. I dont like that much attention drawn to myself, so I told him not to bother, cause I only did what was the right thing to do in that situation.

What truly amazes me about this entire situation is that there were 3 cars in front of mine, that just slowed down, looked at what was going on, then continued to drive away. Have people in our society become that detached to where they can't help someone out?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

3. 4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for sharing this. Yes it really is sad that so few have the love and the courage to "get involved". I pray the Lord will bless you as He blessed the one, who's life you saved.
  4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

That is pretty huge, man.

A person is alive today because of you. That is just
    absolutely awesome. I think of kids, grand kids,
    fathers, mothers, brothers sisters, uncles and aunts,
    all of whom would have lost someone they love if not for you.

Ok, maybe you think it was all part of a days work.
    But I think you really did something special.

Good work. Take the rest of the day off and
    enjoy your life.
  5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I'm glad you did the right thing! Major freakin' Kudos!!!

I am trained in CPR/First Aid but I don't want to ever use it unless I have to.
  6. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    What ^he^ said!!!

Good going, man!

Now go buy one of those basses on your GAS list, you've earned it!

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    whoa. terrific work. :)
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    So the guy lived that you were doing the CPR on?

I know what you mean about that last comment. This past summer, a woman was run over while crossing a busy street not too far from my house. A friend who was with her said multiple cars drove by staring as she kneeled next to her friend trying to revive her. Someone finally stopped when she stood in front of traffic trying to flag someone down.

9. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Thats amazing! You're truly a hero.
  10. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
  11. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    They were probably too busy talking on their Blackberry's. :rollno: To answer your question: yes.

Outstanding work John. :) If they do decide to give you some recognition just be modest and keep your head down, and if they ask you to make a speech, just say "I did what needed to be done, unlike the other people on the road who drove by without a second thought."

I'm glad there's people like you still out there, although they're few and far between.

12. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Huge at'a'boy to you sir! Like previous posters have allready siad. Think of the bigger picture, the families and freinds that their death would have affected. You deserve the recognition. Take it in stride and be proud of what you have done!
  13. All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    ya did a great jorb there.
  14. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Nice work, and yes, it has come to that. Imagine if someone stopped and tried to help and the person died. There would more than likely be litigation they would be bankrupt and/or jailed for their effort.

In today's litigious society, it's hard to blame people who don't act as they know they should for fear of what may happen.
  15. Thor

16. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    As for the people not stopping - I think that is the old thing that when people are in crowds they are more likely to stand and watch, as the blame can't be put directly on them, so they don't feel guilty for not helping. If it was only one person nearby, they'd probably help.

But good stuff man, giving CPR! I took a first aid course 5 years ago, it is probably time to do a refresher.
  17. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars

Fifteen or so years ago, my mother and I were in a major accident. We got sideswiped by a semi, my mom lost control, and we hit a concrete jersey barrier causing the Buick LeSabre to go completely on one side. It skidded to a stop. We slowly climbed out of the driver side (which was pointed straight up in the air, and got out. Tons of cars slowed down and more than one person actually pointed and laughed. Meanwhile we were both afraid that the car was about to explode (sparks, leaking fluids, engine was still on...). Besides being completely freaked, I became (more) jaded that day about the good in people.

So I'm glad you shared your story...There are good people out there!

...maybe just not on I-95 in CT...

Marshall :)
  18. Thor

Lucky for you the stockbrokers and lawyers were already
    busy stealing money and couldn't be bothered kicking you and
    taking your wallet.

Yeah, I lived in Darien years ago.