1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I honestly believe........

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ESPplayer, Dec 1, 2006.

1. ESPplayer

ESPplayer

Nov 17, 2006
    that the Geddy Lee jazz is the best bass fender makes.Tone looks everything.And the price!? who agrees?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'd be hard pressed to disagree with you.

i like em so much, i had one made for me by benevente/brian barrett (lowend jazz basses).

mine had some slight customizations though :).

CIMG1263.

3. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Don't see it, John. Maybe the nut's slightly wider?

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :ninja: (whispers) it's the pearloid pickguard

5. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I disagree, I think the Jaguar is the best in the Fender lineup right now. I had a Geddy and while it was good, it wasn't great.

I'm happy that you have found the Geddy to be such a great bass. Play it in good health!!

6. nah im a jaguar and P bass (black jag and pink paisley P), but since the geddy has the same neck shape and size and the same pick ups with different wiring (most ppl do a series(sp?)/para mod any way) as the jag i cant say too much about that.

i would want proper inlays and bind not paint for my cash tho, all in all nice basses (tho not a honey ash 70's with a maple, bound board)

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    For all-around quality for standard production Fenders (not Custom Shop), I'd pick the the AVRI series instruments ahead of the Geddy. However, if you factor price into the issue, I'd put any of the better CIJ Fenders (including the Geddy) next on the list. Personally, I don't like the thin Geddy neck, but that's just a preference issue.

8. My personal favorite Fender (besides my FMT IV) has to be the RB4/RBV. Those basses are so sweet, and really have it all tonally.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I also think that the CIJ fenders are on top. I dont like the geddy neck either. Its close to what I like, but a little too narrow towards the end. Very close, though.

10. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    While I do like the Geddy overall, it just wasn't right for me. There was not enough low end, and the slim neck made my hand cramp when holding down a groove on the 1st thru 5th frets. Plus, the gloss finish on the back of the neck, bleh. Don't get me wrong, it's a great, well made bass, it just wasn't right for me.

11. the thing i'm noticing here is no one really has ANY real tonal gripes with the CIJ/MIJ basses esp the geddy and jag, none that cant be resolved with out 'minor' mods (series adds loads of bottom).

the only problems people have is the love or hate necks on both the geddy and jag. i personally love the shape of the neck and the lovelly finish on it (i love the nearly no finish feel on my necks but i also love the thick smooth feel on my jag and P) but i can see how people can dislike it too

as for build CIJ is on par or above in some cases to MIA, and if i were to buy a jazz bass other than the above mentioned 70's ash it would be a geddy.

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    My favourite Fender bass is the Squier modded fretless, I jsut got mine yesterday and damn, it is amazing! And all that for the price, ridiculous...

13. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    I played both the Squire vintage models. I absolutely hated their necks and tone.

I like the laquer on the back of my neck and the pickups where awful sounding. I'll take my Geddy ANYDAY. It's quite possibly the best bass i've ever owned and as for no low end, i've yet to crank my hartke up past 2 without rattling the bass drum around the stage with it. Great bass, better price. Enough said.

14. opium89

opium89

Jan 27, 2004
    The Marcus Miller is my personal fave at the moment. Next to that, Power Jazz Bass Special. The Geddy is up there though.

15. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa

The Marcus is great bass, I just can't get past all the plastic on it.

16. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I have a Geddy and really like it. Funny thing though, my hand seems to cramp up pretty quickly ( anyone else experience this?). I also have a japanese Fender P which I favour a little more. Even though the neck is wider, no hand cramps....go figure. Regardless, I really like the quality/price ratio.

17. I hae no problem with the Geddy (none at all -- its a great bass!) but from a price/performance/versatility standpoint, my personal pick is the Reggie Hamilton. :smug:

Attached Files:

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Let's not forget to give some props to the venerable Roscoe Beck V.

19. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Fender makes so many models it's hard to get a chance to play them all. I'd like to get a Reggie Hamilton in my hands, for instance, but none of the stores around here ever happen to have them in stock. So, I won't say the Geddy Lee is Fenders best.

Still, the Geddy is a great bass and a great deal dollar wise. I'm one of those who really likes the neck.

BTW, it's funny to me how many people seem to make all kinds of mods to their Geddys. Why buy a special edition bass to use as a project bass?

20. LOL - that's a great question. I've never heard it put that way but it is something to consider.

I think the answer lies in the fact that everyone wants their bass to be uniquely theirs. (Corvettes are some of the best cars in the world but people still mod them incessantly.)

The Geddy is no different -- people like to tweak them and come up with something unique. That's no knock on the GL and no knock on the people who buy them -- it's simply "different strokes for different folks."