i hope fender warranty covers this..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Apr 7, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i was told i have to bring my MIA p-bass in to a local dealer because it has "resonance imperfections".

something about the neck joint not being sanded properly or some ****.

great, without a bass for a weekend full of shows....
  2. "Resonance imperfections" may be the single most ambiguous term I've heard in relation to bass problems. Who told you this?

Does the bass play well in your oppinion? Does it sound good in your oppinion? Was there any problem with it before someone told you about these "imperfections?"

One thing I've learned over the years is take 99 percent of what you hear related to musical instruments with a grain of salt as people tend to pass along things they've heard incorrectly or without proper justification.
  3. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i've been having a wierd sound, when i play plugged in, and un pkugged where it sounds like there is a flanger pedal in my signal chain. its just this really wierd sound. sometimes its reallllly bad, other i dont even notice it. at times, its so bad i want to sell the friggen things, other times i dont even notice it. the bass plays pretty good, i'm sure it could play better.

so, i remember asking on the tb and got a few good suggestions but i've done all that i can. when i called fender, since it's only been like 8 months, i want this resolved. i told the guy what it sounded like, and he said that, and that its most likely something in the neck pocket that wasnt sanded properly or is un even and this is why it is happening. so, they told me where to go thats local to me, but i'm sure i'm going to be without a bass for like 3 weeks.
  4. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    no, its mainly the open E and no other string. i had the height adjusted on 3 seperate set ups that i had and its all the same.

plus it does it wehn its un plugged.
  5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    your profile shows you having 3 basses, what about using one of the other 2?

BTW: next time youre buying fenders try'em a lot before buying.
  6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Best advise ever heard (read) since i joint TB.
  7. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    That sounds more like a nut problem to me.

8. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah, i'll just use my mim p-bass. i didnt play this one as much because guitar center gave me one originally that was messed up. so they got me a new one and i didnt try it out for too long.

i hope its something like just the nut. that would make my life sooooo friggen easy.
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Right off the bat, that sounds like your pickups tweaking with your strings.

Roscoe Beck talks about it. Near the bottom of the page.

"You know how the E string on a Jazz gets wobbly-sounding past the 15th fret? That's caused by the strong pull of the alnico magnets on the string. On a J-Bass, each pickup has two alnico rods underneath the strings—and with a .105 E, the string mass in relation to the pull of those four magnets just barely allows sound to happen. If you lengthen the coil to accommodate five strings, it no longer sounds the same."

Probably a similar effect in your instance. Though I could be utterly mistaken.
  10. Yeah, upon hearing you further describe the problem it sounds like the pickups are too close to the string, the magnetic pull of the pup will affect the strings, especially on thicker ones (ie B's and E's). Try lowering your pickups significantly and see if the problem goes away, also did this problem just start happening recently? If so it might be the string itself. Try both of these before you pay to have some tech look at it.
  11. WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Or you could play the 2000 Stingray, the best Leo designed bass ever.
  12. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    its happend with 3 different kinds of strings. its been happening on and off for about 6 months(owned it for 8). sometimes its a lot. sometimes its only a little.

so, even if it was un plugged the pick up could still effect the sound?

i dont know man, ive lowered it and raised it and it hasnt changed at all. i wasnt able to doit today, but i haven in the past.

i'm bringing it to the guy they told me to to have it looked at.

as for the music man. its a great bass and all, not the sound im into, which is why i bought the p-bass.
  13. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    also, i know what he is talking about, but its not that kind of sound. its hard to explain. i will let all you guys know what happens.
  14. pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    You know, even if that statement wasn't a matter of opinion, that helps absolutely nothing. :scowl:
  15. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    G&L my friend. The man said so myself. Err HIMSELF!

16. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Two things I can think of. Like brendan said the pickups might be too close to the strings creating warble.

Something that most dont think of is that you may be stringing your bass such that the string is twisted from one end to the other. Its very difficult to avoid this on through body basses thats why I have deluxe bridges on my MIA fenders so I can top load them. When your string is twisted (even a little) it can create a beat frequency effect which basically amounts to it sounding like the fretted note pitch is varying slightly as it decays. Its very annoying once you notice it. You can actually see it on a sensitive tuner where you cant seem to get the needle to stop moving back and forth. Good luck!
  17. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I think Brendan hit the nail on the head I was thing the same thing. Try lowering your pickups.
  18. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    :eek: :eek: :eek: ive got a jazz with .105 E string that sounds a little muted on the second scale.
  19. That may be true, but I think you should take it with a grain of salt.

Randy :eyebrow: