I hope I'm not dying.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Well, we're all actually dying, aren't we.

I noticed about a year ago that the fingernail on my right thumb has a serious indent and ridge or wave to it. Kind of looks like a little hill. I know that fingernail problems can be indicators of other health related issues - but I'm not really too concerned because all my other nails are fine. I believe I have this due to the pressure I put on my thumb when resting it on the pickups - but I don't know for sure.

Anyone else have this going on - a couple of yesses would put my mind at ease. Thanks.
  2. ive heard that that fingernails does have something to do with health, but i hope its just an old wise tale, or else ill probably die when im 18 :eek: , well they arent THAT bad, but like my toenails have white lined ridges going through some of them.
  3. Joe your condition can be be corrected. But you must stop planting that thumb at once! I'm prescribing the floating thumb technique. Not only will your nail improve but your overall bassplaying health will be enhanced, Jello is also supposed to good for your nails
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Wife. An old wife's tale.

Can't say I have any problem with my nails, although my little toe nail on my left foot is virtually nonexistent.
  5. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    actually, youre all wrong. its an "old wives' tale". :D
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, there's not any problems with any of my nails that i can tell, although my toenails have been tasting a little funny lately - but hey that could be my socks.
  7. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    If you do die....

can i have your bass?
  8. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

Dam, J.T., you ever had athletes foot of the mouth? You need to quit doing that!

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Hmm, what kind of athlete would get athlete's foot on the mouth? And how would they get it?;)
  10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    uh, maybe a tongue racer?

a lip vaulter?

i don't know.

actually, that dude that used to pitch for the atlanta braves - john rocker - he had athelete's foot on the mouth pretty often. :D
  11. you can damage your nails and then they always grow in funny. it depends if you damage your nail bed or not (or how bad). I once had a ridged thumbnail for quite some time (I think I hit it- not sure) and it then lifted on the one side after a few months and then fell off. It was very gross. And I had the same on my toe when I broke it. the nail was all wierd for 2 years then it gradually decreased. Sometimes it is because of an injury or related to something you do (like buting your nails, or work related..). Although your nails can be linked to your health the same way as bones and teeth can. If it is only a problem with one nail I wouldn't worry if it was all of them, then maybe 'd be concerned.

till then drink milk :) and if you are really concerned try some creams for damaged nails it could clear things up. you can find them at a drug store or an esthetics parlour.
  12. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I used to have that yucky fungus infection on my toenails. I tried everything you can imagine. the doctor gave me prescription drops and a prescription for a medication, but it cost a fortune and could cause liver trouble. So, I took a razor blade and cut my toenails off as close to the root as I could get. Lots of blood and screaming.... I did this for a while, and now, no infection! Not that I would recommend it, however...

JT, I used to bite my toenails all the time (well, actually, in private) when I was younger. My 40-year-old gut has made that impossible now, which is probably a blessing.
  13. Hey, I"m not the only one who can bite my toenails? :)
  14. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Joe Nerve - relax. If the nail disfigurement is only restricted to one nail, I wouldn't worry about it. Certain medical conditions can manifest in nail changes but these changes will affect all your nails. Like another poster said, sometimes fungal infections can cause localised nail changes, but usually this involves toenails, not your right thumb.

My diagnosis is that you have been slapping your bass too hard with your right thumb, and your nail has grown to adjust to this. :)