Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I hope it doesn't rain

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by anonymous0726, May 28, 2002.

1. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I went to the Lincoln Center Tower Records last night to cash in the gift certifcate that was putrifying in my wallet. After unsuccessfully trying to find a couple of CD releases of albums from my childhood (Chick's 'Mad Hatter' and Tete Montoliu's trio album with Niels and Toody Heath), I set off for the classical section to see what Edgar Meyer they might have.

The classical section at this Tower is in it's own room as the classical folks must feel at unease mingling with the jazz folks that make up the remainder of the floor. This part tickled me as I passed into the even more air conditioned segment of the store. I look around a minute and am soon accosted by a guy in his late 30's with long, curly and carefully swept-back hair, his Farrah pants hoisted quite a ways over his sizeable gut and held in place with a narrow dress belt, who asks me if I need any help.

I ask where I might find Edgar Meyer's releases. He pauses from in moment, apparently not recognizing Edgar's name at all, and then asks what piece I might be looking for. I share my surprise that they don't have their collection indexed by performer and only by composer.

He sniffs and says, "Well, I don't think that we have Edgar Meyer in this section as he would really be a Bluegrass artist."

To which I replied, "The cello suites are in the Bluegrass section?"

"He played the bass transcriptions of the cello suites?", he spat down his nose.

"Well, kinda.", I replied "The first was in the original key of G, I believe, and he did the 5th in B instead of A because of the tuning he uses, and of the second I'm unsure."

He again sniffs audibly (where do they learn that how to do that?), tells me that maybe he has heard those, hands me a couple of the hillbilly CD's, gives me an unapproving look and swishes away to his next show.

If it rains, he'll most certainly drown.

2. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    The salesman sounds like a real work or art. I never liked Tower Records much anyway out here in CA about all they carry is hair band CD's. Is it true if you can play the 1,3,5 cord progression you can be in a hair band, make a CD and get a tour to go with it.

Around here the best place to find Jazz and Classical CD's is Barns & Noble or Borders. I think that there are some good music shops in Bezerkly or over in San Francisco but that is a long way to go for a CD.

Kind of funny Ed Meyer in the "Hillbilly" section it is apparent that the clod never listened to any of Ed's work. Ha! Edgar Meyer in the same section as Bill Monroe. No slam on Bill just diffrent music. I think I will go listen to my Bean Blossom Lp tonight and Ed's hillbilly music both.

Joe

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Kind of odd that someone in the classical section of the Lincoln Center Tower wouldn't be familiar with Meyer. He's a regular member of (and frequent composer for) the Lincoln Center Chamber Society.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It cracked me up. I was giggling about it all the rest of the evening.

5. Blux

Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    There is one of the chain record stores in Cherry Hill, NJ (near Philadelphia) where the classical and jazz are in the same glassed-in room. The gentleman there knew exactly where to find the Ray Brown, Christian McBride and Ray Parker CD's. ..even had 'Two Places at the Same Time'; an import.

6. My local Barnes and Noble is having a clearance on Concord Jazz, 4 bucks per CD. I don't know if this is a local or chain-wide event. Call and ask.

7. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think all Towers have the classical section in a hermetically sealed room. Actually, given the crud that was played in the big room at the West Covina tower when I used to go there in the late 80s/early 90s, this is probably a good thing.

Classical music does create a bit of a filing conundrum because, after all, equally good cases could be made for putting the Edgar Myer Bach Cello Suites under B or M. In my CD collection, I try to put CDs which are all one composer under the composer's name (so Joel Quarrington's Virtuoso Reality is under B) while CDs with more than one composer are under the performer's name (Jeff Bradetich also gets to be in B).

-dh
    NP: Marian McPartland plays the music of Billy Strayhorn