Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I hope this isnt a dumb question folks

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JWC, Jan 10, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    The strings on my bass are pretty thick (I think the E is 105). However, the strings seem really tight and hard to manuever. The strings are 4 months old and the action isn't high at all. I can't get much flexibility and pull from these strings. What can I do? Get lighter ones? Change the action setting? Or is there a way to ease tension without messing the tuning up? Help!

2. The tension you experience from your strings is strictly a characteristic of that brand of string. No changes to the setup can help with that. You can change tension in different parts of the string like over the nut or bridge but as far as the playing tension, what you see is what you get. In general roundwounds are more flexible than flatwounds and lighter gauges are more flexible than larger gauges but you'll want to try some different brands and methods of construction to get what's best.

By the way, a .105 E string isn't particularly fat as bass strings go. It would be considered a "medium" gauge. My sets are .45 - .105. I don't like a thick string and this range seems to be well suited to how I play. The other strings in the set would also have to be considered in whether the entire set is a medium or heavy gauge.

3. i usually play with a set of Ken Smiths that are 115-55 on a 4 string and they don't feel tight but i have been using them for years. 105-45 are meduims, you might try lighter gauge strings. like hambone said set up probally isn't going to change the feel of the string.

i would try maybe a meduim light like 100-40
    i have a set of 90-30 on one bass and they can be fun to play once and a while, you can bend a string to the floor

happy motoring:D

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    You could try DR Hi-Beams, Sunbeams, or Tapercores.
    They have a round (vs. hexagonal) core which may ease the tension.
    They're all roundwound and come in "medium" sets with a 105 E.
    Difference is the Hi-Beams & Tapercores are Stainless and the Sunbeams are Nickel.
    The Hi-Beams also come in a "Heavy" set...50-70-90-110
    I tried the Tapercores (round core exposed over the bridge saddle).
    Yikes! :eek: I thought I was playin' an old honky-tonk pi-aner.

There's also Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Roundwounds ($++). Also wound on a round core.
    Great feel and insanely high output.

Am I in the right forum? :confused::p