Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I inherited a P-bass from my grandfather

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jiro, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    Yo call me Jiro, sup... cool my first post!
    My grampa just died, at the age of 63 pretty young... haha but I found a bass-case in the attic it was kind of dusty but then i kind of wiped the dust off and it said "Fender USA" on it. WOW, i never knew my grandfather played bass. So i opened it. And there she was, body was black, the pick gaurd black, sleek, fender P-bass.. classic, made in USA bass. Its mine now. And right now i dont know much about bass playing but i think i know enough about music to find my way.

I wonder how much this sucker costs. So far all i know about is that its Fender P-bass and serial number S886098 which i came to find that it was made in 1977 or 1978... so my gramps was 36...

:D yo sup!

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    sup Jiro, welcome!

Sorry bout your Gpa :( man. My Gpa was a Ping Pong Champ! :D

cool pbass, I'm sure some people here can help with Fender stuff.... not me tho-

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    if i can impart one piece of advice to you as a new person:

if you dont want to be flamed by gits like me, then do a search for the topic you start new threads on.

thats seriously the best piece of advice i can give you to use this wonderful resource.

4. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Sorry bout your grandpa. I wished my grandpa had played bass. That would have been cool. Congrats on the p-bass, though. What kind of condition is it in? Do you have any pics?

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea,,, welcome aboard... Kind of a sucky assed way to get a decent axe, ya know?

6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    at least YOUR grandchild will be able to say that!

:bassist:

f

7. Welcome to the forum jiro. I dont know much about basses but i think that an old usa made p bass is a pretty nice bass for a beginner.

8. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    tru dat

9. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Welcome.
    Pics.
    Kthxbai.

10. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    If that P bass isn't really banged up and chopped up it'll be worth a bit, I'd be careful with it and try not to dent it, its not in the REALLY expensive vintage category, but it'll fetch a decent price, if you wanna keep it and play it, whatever dings you get along the way I think it'll add character and you're keepin it anyway no point of let it sit in the case forever!

11. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    Hey you guys want pictures i got pictures hahahha just dont mind the dirty house!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:D hehehe, its cool... what is it an axe? My new/old axe. haha

12. I knew this was gunna be a vintage P!

too bad to hear about your g-pa :bawl: hope your doin ok. :)
    tis a nice bass ya got there pal! like veryone say's: keep it in as good as condition as possible!!!

:bassist:

13. :( I cant see the pictures. :bawl: All I see is a little box with a red X in the middle. :mad:

14. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
  15. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I've seen such basses sell anywhere from 700-1100 bucks at stores, It really depends on the condition, (especially the neck). If you sell it yourself you will probably get a little under a grand, if to a store you will get around 600-700 bucks. If you decide to play bass, hold onto it, because even if you wind up wanting some 6 string, pretty wood, active pickup, fancy shmancy monstrosity of a bass, you will always have a use for a good fender precision (the bass that started it all).

16. Sorry to hear about your grandfather, that is very young to be a grandfather, and so young to pass away.

You have a great connection there with your grandad in that bass, enjoy it!

George

17. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Sorry to hear about your loss. My grandfather was a bass player, too. I inheirited his upright. It is a 1948 (approx.) Kay. He bought it new when he became a minister. That bass was at our church long before I was born. I don't remember a time growing that he wasn't playing it every Sunday. When I was 14 I bought a Gibson EBO and started playing every Sunday. The upright went into semi-retirement at that point.
    The Kay enjoys a place of honor in the house and I love to play it and remember better times.
    Peace,
    Fo'

18. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    sorry about your grandfather.

What a NICE BASS! Don't mess it up, keep it orginal and don't sell it!!!!!
    Enjoy it! :) :bassist:

19. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    please do not smash the bass around or sticker it up etc.
    although, it really isnt worth that much... ill buy it for 200$ if you want :D
    -marty
    enjoy