1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I inherited a P-bass from my grandfather

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jiro, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Hey funky! I thought you didnt like P-basses!? :D

2. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    No, but he likes money ;)

3. Don't sell it.

I repeat.

Don't sell it.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My grandfather played bass too. Just found this out a little while ago. He already sold it way back when he had kids, so it looks like I just get his coin collection :p

Sorry about your Grandpa, but keep that bass forever!

5. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    Dude, that bass is killer! As long as you don't rip it to shreds, play the hell out of it!

IMO, black on black with maple fb is the BEST looking color combo for a P.

6. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I agree. It looks to be in very nice shape. Leave it alone, but play it & love it. Especially considering how you got it, that thing is a treasure.

7. That is exactly like my first pro bass!!! A Fender "Blackie"

Mine was a new 1975 but yours is just as sweet.

OK, how much would you take for it? :crying:

8. Yeah, I have to agree. Whatever its value may be, I'd keep it for sentimental reasons.

9. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Totally.

I don't even like P basses, but if I were to inherit one, I'd keep it forever because of semtimental value.

10. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    Im not going to sell it haha, i just cant stop playing it and maybe i should find a teacher. As for my gramps all id like to say is, Thank You, for the bass you have given to me because I love it the greatest gift a grandson can recieve.

I didnt inherit any amp though... all i have is this lame karaoke machine basically hahaha. I have some money and i need to spend it on a good amp for this bass. Geillien Kruger?

11. Thanks a lot miccheck. That is a sweet bass Jiro. I love P's and like the black-on-black combo a lot. Sorry to hear about your grandfather.

12. Kind of contradictory, but please acccept my condolences on the passing of your grandfather and congradulations on the wonderful gift he's passed on to you. Like most of the other guys said- keep it and enjoy it! Having a tangible piece of your past helps keep those you have lost alive.

As for that karaoke machine... for the love of God and fried food, get rid of that evil thing! The last thing you want is your grandkids finding it in your attic after you've gone. It'll tarnish the image of their rock n' rollin' granpa forever! :bassist:

And welcome to the board!

Bob

13. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Like the others, welcome, condolences on your grandfather's passing, and I also envy your discovery of a true 'closet classic' that will be a family heirloom for years to come. From the pictures, your grandfather's Precision appears to be in exceptinal condition, and will be much happier now that someone is playing her on a regular basis.

Frankly, the era from the late 70s and into the early 80s is considered the 'black days' of Fender production due to neglect, poor quality control, and a general lack of love put into them. The downturn is traced to '65 when Leo Fender sold the company to CBS, who introduced automation and mass production techniques detrimental to the craftmanship. The very collectible basses are those from around '57-'59 after split coil pickups were introduced, also the single coil basses that preceeded them. Consensus will tell you that the 'golden era' includes basses built up until probably about '66-'67, they are generally of far better quality than those built thereafter, and things got steadily worse until the company was sold again in the early 80s. But every bass is unique, it doesn't mean there weren't great basses built after 1970 but they became fewer and farther between. So even basses from those dark days are still desirable since there are gems to be found among them. Besides, old basses sound great for whatever magic reason (they're mostly made of wood after all), and nothing can make an instrument 25 years old except 25 years.

WRT getting lessons, if you wish to persue playing even on a casual basis it is well worth it. But also do your homework. Learn basic musicianship/music theory, and listen to bass players - not just those playing electric bass, but keyboard bass, tubas in marching/brass bands, etc. Listen to unfamiliar styles of music. Understanding and executing the ROLE that a bass player fulfills as both a rhythmic and melodic voice is at least as important as a player's chops (I'd say far more important in landing a gig), and the very gifted players are those who manage to do both well. Subscribe to The Bottom Line and read it religiously for about a year before posting. Pick up some issues of Bass Player. See live music, check out the bassist, talk with him after the show.

I'd also advise you to buy an amp/cab, as well as another bass - my opinion is that your bass is just in too good condition and will have too much sentimental value to risk the unavoidable wear and tear and possible damage that taking her out too often will bring. Check out music stores, play all levels/price ranges of gear, then check out the used stuff online here and other places, going used you really don't have to invest a ton of money to get yourself set up in decent fashion and if it doesn't work out you can unload the stuff here as well, likely without taking a huge loss.

Good luck, and again, welcome. Check back often.

14. I have a black on black P, but with rosewood fretboard :bawl:. That is beautiful though, I love maple necks, especially with all-black instruments, looks reet good that!

Sorry to hear about your grandad as well :( , but what a present to leave behind! Love it, take good care of it, play it like it deserves, and don't sticker it up!

For amp suggestions, DO NOT use a keyboard amp and check out the Amp forum on this board and use the Search function to find info on certain amps you're interested in. GK is a good make, no experience with them myself, I would try and get hold of a nice Peavey or Trace Elliot amp.

Happy bass playing and welcome to Talkbass! :D

15. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    If you do anything bad to that bass, the penalty is castration...

That thing is awsome!