1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I joined a cover band...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Wolfenstein666, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    ...which is something I've always said would never interest me.

Basically the long and short of it was that I put out word I was looking for a band, and a mutual friend hooked me up with the BL. I've known the guy for quite awhile; good guy, talented. They just started learning covers and are getting a set together. It's pure classic rock stuff, BOC, The Hollies, Mellencamp, etc. There's a decent cover band thing going on in my town but no one is really fulfilling that particular niche. According the BL the scope of the project is to play good old tunes, have fun with it and make some money gigging.

First practice is next week, had to learn a few tunes over the weekend and I'll keep brushing up. He's seen me play with my other bands so the job is all but mine unless I completely crap the bed.

A cover band isn't something I was particularly looking for, but it'll be fun stepping outside my wheelhouse, learning some new tunes and making some money.

2. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Trying new things is always good. Let us know how it turns out!

jamro217, Stumbo and Wolfenstein666 like this.
  3. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Somebody will be along shortly to crap on cover bands. Screw 'em! It's fun to play good music that people actually want to hear AND get paid for it.

4. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    I played in an original band for 5 years, recorded an album and played a ton of gigs. Definitely prefer that, I will say though that actually making money will be nice. Not much to be had in original metal these days.

saabfender, jamro217, Stumbo and 4 others like this.
  5. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I have played covers for 30 years and have made some good money along the way and had tons of fun. For the last 6 years I have played in a band doing original music. My wife doesn't understand the concept of playing for free.:laugh:
    I am really enjoying original music these days but I would play covers again if the situation is right. These days I am happy to just play one set when I play. That 3 set stuff will wear you out!

jamro217, jfh2112, 327 and 4 others like this.
  6. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Welcome to the dark side :nailbiting:

7. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    I will never pay to see a cover band.

PanRap and HauntedDave like this.
  8. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    I probably wouldn’t either, but here I am. :smug:

9. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    No prob - I highly doubt I'll ever pay to see your band either LOL.

10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

^ i second this!

good luck! :thumbsup:

jamro217 and Wolfenstein666 like this.
  11. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    No one liked to pay to see my original's band either, so I'm used to it. :D

12. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    My condolences.

13. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    I play a lot of shows with cover bands, been ding it for quite a while. I generally have a pretty good ti
    I'm with you gin. I play cover gigs all the time, usually around 8 or 9 a month. Been doing it for years. I've also usually got an "original" project or two going at the same time. No sittin' around on the front porch watching the clouds go by for my retirement!

14. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    I wasn't doing much with music anyway, hard finding musicians that are into what I want to do. I don't see anything wrong with wanting to play some music and make some money.

TinIndian, Stumbo, fretter and 7 others like this.
  15. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    Cover bands tend to play bars and local events; all are usually free to attend. Local 3-4 piece cover bands here can make $600+ a night. One of our larger venues does a "First Friday" event that's free and always has top-notch bands playing. I think they make around $800 for a 3 hour set. So go ahead and tell us how you're not going to pay to see a cover band. The cover bands don't care.

16. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Then I’m happy for you.
    I’ve done it for a good pay check but never again.

Wolfenstein666 likes this.
  17. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I know what you mean. I've played originals for over a decade. One band was even successful enough to draw a crowd - back in the nineties when live music in a small town still could do that. I frowned upon those that played cover music. The hardest pieces had already been done - writing and arranging the song and making it popular enough that people recognize it. All these guys had to do was play it in a way that the resemblance to the original is big enough so the audience knows the tune.
    Back then I did not care that we played a show for a few bucks and all the beer we could drink while the cover guys charged big money.

Nowadays I don't mind covering so much. In my parts, the business has changed. I have an originals band that gets two or three gigs per season if and only if we really push our way in to the few places where you can still play loud rock music live. The other band that plays 100% cover gets about a dozen gigs per season without anyone lifting a finger.
    So if you want the enjoyment of playing a crowded venue with people listening and people dancing, cover it is.

Personally, I like the approach of a certain band theme. My cover band plays reggae. We play some top 40 rock and pop songs converted to reggae - and that feels like best of both worlds. You take a pop song apart, bit by bit, identify the pieces that must go in so people will recognize it and do with the rest as you please. It is a fair bit songwriting and a bit arranging and the result is, in general, a well known pop song, but in part, it is yours also.

J_Bass, Stumbo, Wisebass and 6 others like this.
  18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I play in churches. Pretty much a cover band scenario. Some of the stuff we're playing this weekend is probably half a Century old. Maybe even a century (though they probably didn't do it with electric instruments back then). It's OK.

design and Wolfenstein666 like this.
  19. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Cool man, good luck with it. I was thinking the same way and learned some songs to audition with a band and completely changed my mind and backed out. Making money would be cool but the whole thing was feeling like work.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  20. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    Honestly a large part of me wants to do it just to know that I can do it. It's such a departure from an originals band, I want to prove to myself that I can put the work in and make some money. That's where a lot of the motivation is coming from.

fretter, Spidey2112, mikeyjm2 and 3 others like this.