I joined the ranks today!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RAM, May 5, 2004.

1. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I just completed my rig tonight!:D Woo hoo!!!

Late last week I received my Purity and Stewart World 2.1, but had nothing to play it through, so I had nothing to say about it.

But, tonight I picked up my Epifani 4x10 UL and...WHAT AN AWESOME RIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I've only played around for about 5 minutes, but I can already tell this one's a keeper!

Oh...and a little plug to Jack Read and Dan Lenard for their selfless devotion and endless patience!;)
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Very cool, congrats. I have a Stewart 2.1, and love it. It's been very reliable, it does just fine outdoors on a hot day.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm counting down the weeks 'til I get my Purity. Already got a 2.1. :) And I believe Berg and Epifani are in the same league.

So, here's a toast to assembling that killer rig... and to the end of amp GAS (for a little while, anyway! :D )
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, GAS is never cured. You just get time off between purchases (gear parole?)

anyway, RAM, congrats. I'm sure it's a killer rig. I had the Read, and while the sound wasn't what I was looking for it's a great preamp.
  5. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    pics, review, ... congrats on your new rig.

keep groooovin'
  6. Congratulations. I own an Epifani 4x10 UL too. I run my EBS HD350 head through it, and it is indeed a sweet sounding rig. It's all I need right now, but perhaps someday I'll need to get something more powerful in the way of a preamp/poweramp setup... I'm thinking an EBS preamp and the Stewart World 2.1...
  7. Yah, I'd love to hear a review too. Perhaps your thoughts after first band rehearsal and first gig.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
  9. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    :D yes...gear parole is very important...so that some of us don't end up in gear driven divorce! ;)

and congrats on your rig...sounds sweet!
  10. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks, all!:D

So far, I've got about 20 minutes of total playing time. This morning (almost caused me to be late to work) I tweaked the eq some and got somewhat familiar with my new amp. It's amazing to me how musical everything is and how easy it is to get a good tone! I'm the worst when it comes to understanding how to tweak an eq...even my old Fafner took me forever to understand how to get my tones, and that's a relatively easy one to figure out!

Anyway, me, being a terrible slapper, decided to try a few lines. The clanks of the strings against the frets even sounded musical. The lows sound more than warm...they actually swell in a way I've never heard before! I'd describe the tone as incredibly rich sounding.

On the Purity, all accounts of how this baby is "tubey" are true! And, the Emphasis knob is the coolest thing in the world! I have a nice growly tone, which I'm used to from my Fafner days. Also, according to Jack, it's impossible to overload the input stage. If I want an "Ampeg"-like overdrive, there's no harm in turning the gain stage up to 10, and it gets nicely overdriven - much more than the Fafner's Character control did.

A few things I've found, so far, that take some getting used to: On the Purity, it seems as though the gain actually affects the sound to the tuner, which I have plugged into the Tuner out jack. Because both of my basses run real hot, I have to pluck very hard to get the tuner to register a note. I can turn up the gain to fix this, but it could be a little bit of a disturbance in a live situation.

Also, I'm definitely not used to hearing my basses as they are! That's taking some getting used to. Minor (and I mean MINOR) tweaks of the eq make up for the subtle tonal issues of both basses, though. It's interesting...

I wish I could test it in a live situation, but I'm between gigs right now, so I'm gonna postpone the live review. In the meantime, this is such a cool amp!