I joined the Warwick family!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thehurlatron, Mar 4, 2004.

1. I've had bad GAS for one of these for a long time now and I finally convinced my wife to let me get one without selling other gear. (she unfortunatly has the 2 out, 1 in theory) :eek:

Warwick Thumb 5 BO. It's a beauty! I got it from
    Bass Central. I ordered it on Feb. 26, and Got it yesterday! It came direct from DanaBGoods. The build date was only two weeks ago, so no shelf life for this one.

Unfortunatly this is my first 5 string, and I'm back to square one with playing style. I'm having a hard time getting the feel for the neck with the added width and string. Any advice??

Also, for others with a warwick (or any oil finish wood) The instructions say to wax the body all the time with the provided goo, but do I wax the back of the neck also?(I believe it's the same wood as the body, just the fret board is wenge)

2. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    Wax the bass with the goo & the fretboard gets normal fretboard oil. Dont use the wax on the board....Its good for the rest of the bass though.
  3. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    If you need some help, go to the warwick site, and under Bass Survival 101, I think they have something about taking care of a natural oil finish. I could be wrong, though, I haven't been on that site for a while.
  4. mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    I have two Warwicks with oil finished bodies ('98 Corvette STD and '94 Thumb BO). I wax them both maybe once in month or two (the current official recommendation is once a month. When I bought my 'Vette in '98 it was twice a month..) and have had no problems so far. Both basses have beautiful and shiny finish and wood hasn't cracked anywhere. The neck needs no coating as it gets enough palm grease to prevent it from drying up. A small amount of lemon oil or boiled linseed oil - which i've heard is better - is good for cleaning the fingerboard.
  5. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    nope dont touch the neck with the wax, it will get tacky. i use lem oil about once every 6 mo.

BTW- good choice! How was the set up out of the box?

6. Thanks! I opened up the box, pulled it out of the case. Plugged it in, and it played like butter. None of the strings were any further than 1/2 step out of tune. I think that's pretty good for such a journey. Action is set up good for me, slight fret buzz on low B near the nut, but nothing too major. Just a hair of fine tuning and I'll be set.
  7. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    sorry to be unclear but... i use the lem oil on the fretboard ONLY, not the neck!
  8. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Hooray Hurlatron! Welcome to the family... It may get addictive. See my sig.

Warwick 5-string note:

I just used my Dolphin 5 at practice for the first time last night (we hadn't practiced in like a month and I was dying to show it off!), and noticed a peculiar issue I've never had with my 4s. Every time I would shoot down to first position, the side of my fretting hand, about at the first joint of the index finger, would slam into the edge of the just-a-nut, which hurt like a sumbitch. After a few bars of that happening, I started lifting my index up and fretting with my middle instead when I was down there.

The point? - I assume it's my 5-string technique not being near perfected as yet, so be careful if you play enthusiastically on the wider neck.
  9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Congrats! :D and of course, welcome!

tell her that this goes for her clothing and jewelry and other stuff , too, and she'll change her mind faster than you think :rolleyes:

:cool: (though they say newer ones arent that well made as they were in them good ole days)

Yes. Play a lot!!! And do lots of scales. This helped me with my jump from a 4 to a 6 :eek:

Body: once a month, maybe more at "primary contact areas" - this helps to make the pop-marks disappear
    FB: the oils mentioned by the others
    Neck: nothing

10. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hey i joined the family this week also. I picked up a warwick thumb 4 BO from a fellow talkbasser Paul, Pgurns. Im liking it even more than i thought. Its wierd how naturaly warwicks look but how technically advanced they are. They just make things that work, like the screwless covers, the adjust a nut, and the easily adjustable bridge. The bell brass frets really give smooth crisp notes on those long slap solos. Congrats on yours.
  11. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  12. Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    Move your playing to the middle of the neck. It'll make you lazy though. When you are used to it and want to play a four, you'll be forced to change technique. But who plays fours anyway ;) (I do) And keep those fingers together!
  13. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Nice!!!!!! a lot of yadda yadda and no pics!! I think I´ll report this thread to a MOD...... :D
  14. niceeee i saw sinai beach last night, and their bassist had a thumb 5.. i was jealous.
  15. biergott

biergott DuBistEineKartoffelnsalad kopf

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    My Thumb 4 didn't come with any Goo because I bought it at Guitar Center (do those guys EVER give you everything that they are supposed to?)

Anyone out there know where I can get the waxy goo? Or what else I should use?
  16. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Welcome to the club, I have a 97' Vette. I got it in 02' and it has a very small crack in the body, just a little one on the top side of the bass where the carved back starts, and I was wondering if that would affect the resale value at all, I got a killer deal on it in the first place but it didn't come with any goo. Can I get some of that goo from DannaBGoods? I got the replacement gold Duncan strap locks from them, I've just been using a wood conditioner liquid stuff on it and it still shines and feels smooth but I'm worried that the crack will grow (it was there when I bought it and hasn't grown yet).
  17. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Go to a shop that carries Warwicks on a regular basis and/or is a W dealer, and ask for the W carnuaba/beeswax surface finisher. Very useful, many luthiers use it, so there are not many other things you can get... ;)
  18. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    What is that good for? this way, you will not only not get used to the spacing, but you wont get any tone, either! and thats not what one gets a Thumb for... so: bad idea!

Play a lot and you will get used to it. There is no other way.
  19. Wellcome to the family of W'ers!

I've recently started trying a 6 string thumb from a friend and I've also had some problems getting used to it (I usually play an 4 string Infinity LTD) but a bit of practice will get you there.