Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just added a TC Electronics 2290 to my rack!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by prockenklang, Mar 28, 2005.

1. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I just added a TC Electronics 2290 to my rack.It is amazing!! It only does one effect at a time,but it is with-out-a-doubt,the best delay that I have ever used! It is totally quiet and sounds fantastic! I didn't think that there was a better chorus than the TC floor chorus until I heard the 2290,and believe it or not,it smokes the floor pedal!

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm just curious...isn't this rack unit a bit overkill, considering there are so many incredible chorus pedals and so many rack units that do chorus amazingly well?

3. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    There are lots of great sounding pedals and rack units on the market,but I was interested in getting the best,and the 2290 is the standard of the industry!! Have you gotton a chance to try one? It is insane!!!

4. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    Congrats on your new machine :) :)

How do you apply it to your style of music ?

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Comparing (what I would believe is) apples to apples, have you compared the 2290 to the G-Force? Both are TC Electronic, but the G-Force is one rack space and allows up to 8 effects simultaneously.

Or, were you looking for the "Delay" feature more than anything else?

Either way, nice score!:D

6. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    Comparing the G-Force to the 2290 is like comparing an Acura Legend to an Acura NSX! Both are Acuras,but the NSX is is a way more high performance car!

I have tried the G-Force, it sounds great,and will do several effects at a time,but the 2290,even though it isn't a multi-effects unit,sounds better!

I used it for the first time at a gig on Friday,and was totally blown away! If you get a chance,you should check one out.

John

7. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    Thanks!! I am still getting a feel for it.I set-up a few pre-sets and hopefully I will have time this week to really dig into it.I am using a chorus pre-set, which sounds unreal,a flanging pre-set,a doubler,and a delay that pans in stereo!

I will take a picture of it in my rack with my camera phone and post it later today.

John

8. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    Here is a picture I took of it in my rack.Sorry that the picture quality isn't better.

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Is that a DBX compressor under the 2290?

10. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    It is a Meyer Sound LD-2 Line Driver.

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hmmm...interesting...what does it do?

12. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I think besides being a bit spendy for most folks, the 2290 is not seen as much because you actually need to know what you are doing to use it. No real presets, lots of buttons and no pretty GUI. The most intuitive function is the tap tempo IMO :D

I agree though, its is one of the best delays you can get, sounds so lush. Use it alot in the studio for vocals and guitar.

13. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    It makes my Meyer Sound speaker system more flexable.With my Meyer speakers,I can come right out of my pre-amp and go directly into my 1x12 Meyer UPA-1P cabs,then come out of my UPA'S directly into my Meyer 2x15 subs,and it sounds great! But,by using the LD-2,I come out of my pre-amp,then into the LD-2.The Ld-2 splits the signal outs.There is a out for mid-high,and an out for the sub.It enables you to have seperate gain,and a couple of filters on the mid-high output.There is also an third out for using an aux cabinet.

The way I am running the system,I go into Lehe A/B which sends a signal to a Peterson tuner,and a signal to my rig.From there it goes into a Millennia TD-1 DI,with a direct signal going to the PA,and a signal going to the input of my Millennia STT-1 pre-amp.From there the signal goes into the LD-2.The mid-high out goes into the XLR input of the 2290,then splits the signal in stereo into (2)Meyer UPA-1P 1x12 powered speakers.The sub out of the LD-2 goes into (2)Meyer USW-1 powered 2x15 subs.By running the system this way,I am only using the 2290's effects into the UPA'S so subs don't get muddy while using the chorus. If I need more power,I use the third out on the LD-2 into (2)Meyer USM-1P powered 1x15 monitors.Each of the Meyer speakers are 700 watts each.

John

14. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    IMO you get more bang for the buck with a Line 6 Echo Pro.

How many possibilities is there in the MIDI section of the 2290 ?

15. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    That's cool,I am just not into the whole modeling thing,I am more into the real thing! Line 6 gear is really good for the money though and the Echo Pro does sound pretty good,just not my bag.

As far as the midi section possibilities,I am just getting used to the unit and haven't figured out everything it can do yet.

By-the-way,you can check-out the manual to the 2290 on their website,it will answer all your questions about the midi section! www.tcelectronic.com

John

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Okay...now I'm dizzy!

I've been somewhat following your Meyer acquisitions lately, and it's totally unreal. I'm glad someone 'round here is actually able to obtain it and talk about it, since you don't exactly see it in your local GC.

If you don't mind my presumptiousness (if that's a word), do you have any more cool acquisitions for your rack?

17. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    That rack is full,but I do still have a Glockenklang BassArt Classic head in another rack along with a Monster Power Pro 2500 power conditioner,and a Korg rack tuner.I also still have a Glockenklang BassArt Classic pre-amp that I use as a spare if my Millennia goes down.

John

18. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Any chance of a sound sample?

19. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I don't have a way of doing it right now,but hopefully I will sometime in the near future.

John