I just bought a brand new Rickenbacker 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by floridadave, Mar 11, 2006.

1. floridadave

Feb 18, 2006
    I just bought a brand spanking new Jet Glow Black Rickenbacker 4003 on Wednesday, March 8th.

It was the only new one within 150 miles from me.

I've been lamenting on what bass to buy for quite some time. I bought and brought home a Warwick FNA Jazzman, and a Warwick Thumb and I just couldn't quite commit to them for various reasons. I ended up bringing them back. That's what is great about Sam Ash. You can try it out for 30 days and as long as it goes back in the orignal shape they give a full refund.

I wanted something different then Fender. I've been playing Fender all of my life and was desperately trying to find something different.

Man oh man is this bass sweet. I told the salesman that I was driving over an hour to check out this bass and to make sure it had a "smooth" action. Well he told the guitar technician there to give it a "light" action.

Well the action was nice in the store but when I brought it home and finally had the house to myself, I was able to play normal and I noticed it had some slight fret buzzing. I brought the guitar back the next day and the technician spent over an hour with me fine tuning the truss rods and bridge to my playing stlye.

When I first bought it and was driving home I had a hard time not giggling like a little girl because of my new baby. I sped most of the way home so I could play it again. I turned an hour and a half drive into an hour drive!

Anyone who gets the chance needs to try one of these babies out. The craftsmanship an build quality of these babies was very suprising. The rosewood fretboard and triangular fret inlays are sweet.

I brought it to a practice last night to fill in for a bands normal bass player and the thing sounded so awesome that they want me instead of their normal bass player! That's kind of cool.

I have the tone set kind of low and it sounds deep and warm. Just the right growl but not too much treble. It does not sound like an old stlye bass. It does sound very professional. If I boost the treble it will sound like Geddy Lee or Chris Squire. This thing has one of the best "open-E" grrrr's I have ever heard.

It's very smooth for jazz and blues also with the tone set properly. The mids and highs are clear and kind of "rubbery-punchy" (that's my own made up term for lack of a better one) that punches through with out having to add that crispy annoying treble!

The thing is great for finger style. I can now enjoy and appreciate all the subtleties I used to do on other basses but could hardly hear them before.

I never hardly play with a pick but because I am playing out tonight (yah, afer one practice I must be nuts) I used a pick at last nights practice to save my finger tips. I used the pick between the bridge and the bridge pick-up and man, it roared. I may start using a pick once in a while now!

If you find one you like don't hesitate. The two bass players that work at Sam Ash were mad at me because they were thinking of buying it. They said it had only been there for less than two weeks. They said it takes like six months from the time they order one until they actually get it in.

To the people at Rickenbacker in California...keep up the great work and thanks.

I think I may be hooked.:cool:

Attached Files:

2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Rickenbacker!

I'd always, always, always wanted a Rick (since about 1977) and eventually got one a couple of years back (4003 Fireglo). Whilst I still love my Js and other basses, the Rick is one hell of a good thing and if I could only have one bass I wouldn't complain too badly if it was the Rick. They are fine musical instruments in every respect. Enjoy your bass!! And props to my avatar...
  3. Nice pic! .. I thought you had it leaning against the fence at first!:eek: :eek:
  4. floridadave

Feb 18, 2006
    Thanks Bill, how much (in US dollars) are Rics in the UK?

Faith, Thanks for the pic compliment...I couldn't think of an appropriate background for my new Ric...I thought the barbed wire would give it some contrast yet symbolic attitude (nah, I'm not really that artsy and deep)...there ain't no way in hell I would lean my baby up to five-strands of barbed wire (heh-heh). It's nice to hear another Florida Boy has a Ric.:cool:
  5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Dave - I paid £900 for my Ric 2 years ago, that's a real good price for a new rick over here. They're usually closer to £1200!! By the way, £900 is about $1550-1600.
  6. That thing is beyond gorgeous...

Peel off the daft sticker and you're away!:hyper:
  7. nice bass. looks just like mine. i should go take some nice picks of for once, especially cus its 65 degree in newyork in early march. couldnt ask for better weather.
  8. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    NICE!!!!!!!!. In my opinion one of the best basses for the money. Not cheap but not ridiculous either.

What do you think about the sustain????
  9. floridadave

Feb 18, 2006
    Man oh man...I played out tonight with it and it had the place rockin. Probably helped that everyone was drinking..heh, heh.

Unreal sustain, kind of like the sustain you hear in Pink Floyds "Comfortably Numb". I always thought they used some type of electrical sustain thingy. I never thought an actual bass could ring an entire whole note!

Well, it's time to try and sleep with ringing ears.

Why do guitarist alway have to get louder and louder all the time. Kripes it makes me nuts sometimes.

10. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Ric's are awesome...nothing sounds like them. I've got a 2001 4003 in natural and it's a tone monster!!

Only two things I really don't care for are the huge, baseball bat neck, and the neck pickup.

I never can solo the neck pickup without getting a lot of "clacking" from the strings hitting the board. Probably just my playing style...so I just use the bridge p-up or blend the two.

Enjoy your's...it's a beaut.
  11. I never really cared for rics too much. I admit I have never played one, but looking at them never did much for me. That is until I saw one in a video I watched last night. After watching it I think Rics are quite sexy and am sorta GASing to at least try one out.
  12. floridadave

Feb 18, 2006
    They video taped me playing last night? Cool!;)

I'm just kidding...IF you can find one don't try it out until you're ready to buy otherwise you are going to make yourself miserable. The people at Sam Ash in Clearwater told me it takes them 6 months to get one in.:crying:

Make sure you can have a nice quiet sit-down with it (with a nice amp of course) without too many annoying guitarist thrashing about and ruining its tonal sweetness.:D

I just read that Roger Waters of Pink Floyd used a Rickenbacker quite often...maybe he DID use it on "Comfortably Numb"?:bassist:
  13. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Congrats! Rics are a wonderful thing. I'm using a '76 Ibanez 4001 copy right now, but some day I'll be able to get a real one...maybe.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Nice pic of your new bass. :)
  15. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Very nice bass!!! It seems that lately there have been a ton of people buying new basses.... Tax return checks? hehe
  16. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    I have the same model/color Ric

Not to be a know it all but the "african rosewood" used on the fetboard is another name for bubinga.That's what I was told by a luthier friend of mine.I saw that as another + to a fantastic instrument

17. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I bought a brand new Fireglo about 2 years ago, and for some reason I sold it on eBay. If they are in excellent condition, and you are willing to ship to Europe, they will sell for more than you paid for it. Anyway, I lamented over selling it, and bought another brand new one just like it about a year ago. I think the term "rubbery" is a pretty good descriptive word to use. Once I heard a recording of myself with it, and how strong it sounded in the upper registers, I knew I found the bass for me. Very musical instrument, and interestingly, one that can sound crappy or great - depending on what you do with it.
  18. Alex E

Alex E

Mar 2, 2006
    Congrats, Florida Dave!!

What a great bass, eh? Mine is a 4003 Fireglow and I know what you are talking about. I guess we all do on this thread.

That's a good compliment to the Rickenbacker that you liked it over two Warwicks.

The Ricky is a great bass.

Happy playing
  19. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Great looking Ric!!!

My first bass was a Ric 4003. I bought it used in 1987, not knowing anything other than I had seen pictures of Geddy Lee playing one. I still have my Ric. It's got some fret wear issues, and some major buckle rash and bumps (mojo?) from the original owner, but it still has that amazing Ric growl. It's well put together, and from what I've heard, nothing has changed in that department for Rickenbacker. Every once in a while I think of selling it, because I mostly play fivers these days, but I just can't bear to put it up for sale. Nothing else is a Ric, in terms of sound.

Enjoy!!! :)