Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just bought a EA 1x10 cab...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iloveloosey, Oct 29, 2000.

1. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    which is supposed to take 250 watts @ 8ohms, but which also has a reputation for being highly inefficient, so do you think I could/should power it with an amp that puts out more than 250? If so, how much, and should I worry at all about frying the speakers?

I was considering one of the Stewarts: the World 250, World 600, or Pro Reference 500.

What do you think?
    Thanks,
    James

slinkyjinks@yahoo.com

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Using an amp that has a power rating above that of the speaker is not unusual by any means. I read somewhere that it is actually recommended. If you want clean output from your amp you shouldn't be pushing it harder than say half or two thirds of its max power. So you would not be using all of the 600 watts of a Stewart World 600 amp. I have to write a paper so I don't have time to explain more; I hope someone else does for you.

3. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I now own an ea110 and a 208. I power them with a Sunn 1200 s head at 4 ohms. My best guess is I'm at right around 800 to 900 watts. I barely have the head turned up at all, meaning it could get literally 3 times louder, I'm sure with some breaking up than I play it.

I'd recommend getting as much wattage as you can but don't be afraid with that cabinet to have 600 watts at 8 ohms available. You won't fry it.

Also, from a practical standpoint, you can't be buying a 1 10 cabinet and expect to carry the band unless you're in a very small place and you're band is at very low to moderate volume. The cabinet alone sounds great on stage but doesn't as a stand alone unit project much bottom or top end into a room with competing vocals and horn section as is the case with my band. I have absolutely no trouble with volume or projection with the combination of the two ea cabinets or using for bigger, outdoor venues, a 210 cab( I own a couple swr goliath III jr's) and the ea 208 or the 110 depending on how much room I have in my car that gig.

What I'm saying is you can not believe the difference in bottom end and fullness, + volume you get adding an additional cabinet, including another 110EA.

Good Luck and happy hunting.

LKaye

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have an EA VL208 and have been using it with an Eden WT300. As you say, on it's own it's OK for small gigs, but for larger ones I add a Hartke 1 X 15. I'd like to get another EA cab ideally though. Do you think I'd be better getting another 208 or adding the 1 X 10? I think the 208 is the best cabinet I've ever heard or used, so am tempted to get another one, but is there any reason why the combination of 1X10 and 2X8 would be better than the two 208s?

5. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    The combination of two of these will more than double the sound coming out of either of them alone. It was rather amazing the first time I put them both together about 3 gigs ago. On my one outdoor job I've had, I used one swr goliath jr and the 208 and it was absolutely KILLER. That combo however is too loud, clean, punchy and balanced for most indoor situations unless it's almost no-echo studio quality. With the SWR I can't really control the amount of bottom without really effecting the rest of the sound as the mids are already somewhat depressed. I don't like boosting the mids on my amp's eq as the sound really phony. So, I'm absolutely certain that the 110 and 208 together will be my only rig indoors and out next season.

The 110 does sound a little more "mellow" and doesn't emphasize the mids quite as much as the 208. I think a second 208 would be excellent + you could "turn down" the midrange speakers slightly in one of them, if you don't like the bark which I think both of us do. It took a little getting used to but as I've run this rig more and more, I'm really getting into the uncolored, flat response sound. It's certainly more cutting yet not offensive for slapping or fingerstyles alike, as an example, than running my two swr's which just have a tendency to scoop out all the midrange. The SWR's are more bottom and top heavy, but when I got into a bad acoustical situation, with rumbling bass and echo, I really couldn't get a useable tone out of the SWR's without a lotta work. Now it's much easier with the two EA's. FYI, I put the 208 on the floor with the 110 on top as I like the sound of the 110 a little better close to my ear. I'll turn up the mid and high attenuation on the bottom cab and turn them down slightly on the upper cab.

Hope this helps. If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably buy another 208 and cut the mids down on one of them.

LKaye

6. maestrox

maestrox

Oct 8, 2000
    I've got a VL1-10, an Epifany 1-10, and an old Eden 2-10T. I find that either 1-10 cabinet is not enough, even for rehearsal with my fusion trio (running an iAmp 600 head). The pair of 1-10 cabs is pretty amazing though...the Epi has a more aggressive tone, and suprisingly is a good mate to the smooth sound of the EA. I thought about getting an EA 2-8 cab to go with the EA 1-10 and selling the Eden and the Epifany...still pondering that.

7. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    The 208 is a great compromise. It's definitely beefier than a 1 10 and not that much less volume than a typical two ten, yet anywhere from 1/3 to 2/3 as heavy. To add it to either your Epifani or EA 110 cabs would definitely be a nice sounding rig. Maybe consider selling your Eden and looking into a 208, find out which of your 110's (or keep 'em both?) sounds the best with it, and sell the other one. I might interested!!

What head do you use? Which OHMage are your EA and Epifani's? One distinct flexibility of my Sunn head is that I can run from 1 to 4 cabinets (8 ohms each), so I can use any combination of my current cab configerations, but, as I said yesterday, I feel my swr's are going to soon be going onto Ebay!!

LKaye

8. maestrox

maestrox

Oct 8, 2000
    Head is a brand new EA iAmp 600 (serial number 000001). I'm still getting used to it, but I run it dead flat with the exception of having the contour switch in (-6db @500hz). The volume taper is "truer", so you have to crank it to get it loud, but it is a very easy amp to listen to...none of the plastic honk that my GK had. I've also run a friend's Ashdown 500 through my cabs and that sounded great too...a bit more colored tone. The iAmp is very neutral and flat.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Thanks very much Larry - it does help but I'm still undecided. I might go for the 110 because it is slightly cheaper and I think it might be nice to have the variety - I do play some "acoustic" Jazz and the 110 might be OK on its own for that or I could alternate the 208 with the 110 to get the best sound for the occasion.

I had the chance for an interesting comparison this week, as my band tried a new rehearsal studio, which had a Trace Elliott combo with a 15" speaker in the corner. The 208 with its smaller speakers was able to deliver far more bass than the TE and was obviously much "cleaner" and truer. I can't believe that I used to put up with sounds like this and how much better the EA cabs are than anything else.

10. Maestrox, how do you like the new iAMP head? I tried one out last week and was very impressed. The only concern I have is about head room. My vl208 cab soaks up every last watt from my head (500 watts). I am planning on getting a vl110 cab as well. How does your iAMP deal with two cabs?

11. maestrox

maestrox

Oct 8, 2000
    I like the iAmp head, although I have some of the same reservations...ie how loud can it get. I can say that two cabs is WAY louder than one, and the head has no problem pushing them. I have yet to get the amp to clip. Considering that the iAmp supposedly will put out peaks at 1800Watts, I'm hoping that power is not the issue. If I need more volume, I just need bigger cabinets. As a buddy of mine says, there is no substitute for cabinet size...when push comes to shove, you gotta move air if you're going to fill up a big room. Luckily, I play small rooms, and a pair of 1-10 cabinets seems to be plenty. If I'm on the edge I can go to a 2-10/1-20 combination, although I'm thinking that an EA 2-8/1-10 combo should cover anything I need.

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    An iAmp just went for $699 on eBay tonight. I haven't had a chance to check one out so I didn't bid.

OTOH I did find an Eden Metro locally for $649 and bought a like new Boss ME-8B for $90. Finally got around to checking out a lower end Ashdown with a 410T...sounded nice.

Wasn't a bad day at all;)

13. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    What's almost as amazing as our having put up with the sound of some of these older technology is also our willingness to put up with the prices of these new cabinets, specifically Epifani and EA.

There might be "higher" end components in here, but it ain't like they're twice as good specwise or frankly otherwise. They're good/solid. The EA cabinets are now all designed and they can cookie cutter their production. on the surface it would seem like it's time to start bring the prices down to reality except for:

Yes, they do sound great and it's still amazing how my 110 and 208 together give me better tone, control,portability, and darn close to the volume of 2 210 cabinets for only about $200.00 more. Aye, there's the rub. The 110/208 combination is a great value based on this. When you, however, get 2 210 EA's instead of two SWR Goliath III jr's, you're talking about $700+ more new (for two cabs)and the same, actually worse portability than my SWR's. Now if you have Eden xlt's, that's a different story.....prices closer, portability closer etc. etc. I don't know how good a compromise that would be for someone like myself who only gigs about 30 times a year.

Also, the amount of bottom end people talk about is way way overrated as a determinant of a cabinet. Unless you are playing in darn close to totally sterile acoustic conditions, all the bottom just goes to muddy up your clarity, punchiness, and frankly, I feel justs covers up ones mistakes. It doesn't sound good most of the time guys. You can get a tremendous bass tone, I feel, in the places I play, more often by turning down the bottom end a little and turning up your volume. The EA cabinets don't need as much of this type of adjustment as my SWR's or when I owned an Eden 210xlt, yet I still have plenty of volume and killer bottom for outdoor gigs.

Still if you look at the components inside the EA, you will not see solid gold speakers. I think ACME has the right approach, sell direct, have high quality, and it still costs less than the mainstream bass cabs in your local guitar center.

Just a cheap bassists opinion whose wife is getting more and more pissed at my spending every penny I make playing on more or different equipment.

LKaye

14. Laker

Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    Larry, cost aside, I still absolutely love the sound of my 2 EA 210 cabinets. I run my tone controls to what I consider as flat (center detent) on my Lakland 5, and I can feel those cabinets thumpin' my backside like a good masseuse.
    I haven't pulled one of my boxes apart to look inside to see what EA uses for components, but I notice that the ports are not just holes in the baffles like most cabs. Do you know what is used for speakers etc?

Rob

15. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    There was no "label" on the speaker. It looked like a "normal" beefy lookin' ten inch speaker. Cast frame, good size magnet, fairly stiff cone. We're not talkin' $300 bucks worth of stuff dude including the wood!!!!

My guess is that the internal components cost them, remember I don't know sh't from shinola about prices, but if they paid over $150 for everything,(remember I'm talking about a 110, not the 210) I'd be really surprised.

I'd love nothing more than to get your rig except my achin' back and hernia surgery are already flaring up thinkin' about it!! I know it's got wheels, but they don't help moving things in and out of my Toyota and up and down stairs at the gigs.

The 110 208 combo will have to do it's best thumpin' my backside!! At least the two of them fit in my back seat and together only weigh in at around 75, very easy to shlep pounds. Oh yeah, they really sound fantastic together too.

Good Luck Laker Man.

LKaye / alias "Old Man"

16. I'm pretty darn happy with my EA 2x10 powered by a Crown K2 in bridged mono.

17. Laker

Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    Larry, I finally managed to get a digital camera so as soon as I can get my rig in the house for a while I'll be posting a picture or two in either this thread or one of the amp picture related threads.

Rob

18. Bruce Lindfield

You don't need a digital camera to post pics on the internet - I haven't and I have put pictures up here.You can send any film away to get a Kodak photo CD. All digital cameras are lower resolution than a normal 35mmm SLR - so you're just getting worse quality pictures and less of them by using a digital camera, until they improve the storage capacity.

19. Laker

Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    Bruce, I'm shootin' with a camera that can compete with my Pentax "Spotmatic" that I've been using for over 30 years. The lens on my Pentax you can't buy on a consumer level camera to my knowledge today, but my 3+ megapixel digital is doing a mighty fine job of bein' da*n near as close. When the 1 gig micro drive gets added, I'll have enough storage to park a Buick for the winter.

Maybe its time to jump into the new millenium!

[Edited by Laker on 11-07-2000 at 09:17 PM]

20. Bruce Lindfield

I have seen several consumer TV programmes recently that have pointed out that digital cameras are a "con" - they advertise the number of "megapixels", but don't tell potential buyers that to get the equivalent resolution that you would with a normal 35mm SLR, you will only have the space for 1 or 2 pictures!

We may not have the latest models in the UK, but even so the price difference between a decent "normal" camera and an "average" digital is huge! The digital is closer to £1,000 and the "normal" Pentax, Canon or whatever, can be got for closer to £100. And for what?

So can you tell us the price difference in the case you mention? And I can still get pictures on the internet with my Pentax that cost me "peanuts" in comparison with any digital camera that could get half as good resolution, so why should I change? Seriously, if somebody could tell me one good reason why I should buy a digital camera I would probably do it, but I have investigated extensively and have only come to to agree with the TV programmes that regard it as a con.