1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I just bought a Gibson Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LCMBassist, Apr 5, 2009.

1. LCMBassist

LCMBassist

Sep 27, 2008
    England
    My friend is selling off all his gear and movingto Australia, so I picked up a Gibson T Bird for £350! It's got a load of stickers on it, that I'd like to remove, but they have glue round the edges. My luthier said he can use Naptha on the stickers, but will this remove the glue?

2. Actual glue!? That un-sane!

3. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

Dec 29, 2008
    what a bargain... you should be able to clean it up without any problems. Pictures?

4. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Goof-Off and Goo-B-Gone are 2 products offered stateside that do a good job of glue & sticker removal. Naptha is harmless to some degree but, if the T-bird is sprayed with nitro? I'm no expert but, I would ask one.

5. I'va also seen automotive Prep-Sol (or preps-all...generic name) used with success in removing sticker glue. It's used in body ships, wiping down a car before applying new paint. If it will work on paint as dainty as car lacquer with out harming it, it should be ok on a guitar finish. I've even used it to remove crayon from furniture and there were no negatives...just as with goof-off, test a small area before applying generous amounts...

...btw, congrats on picking up the T-bird for a bargain price. I love mine, great bass. But watch that upper neck & headstock; there's a reason there's so many on ebay with repairs...

6. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I've used Lighter Fluid to remove adhesive from a couple of my 'Birds, Prep-Sol too.....both worked well and didn't harm the finish.
    Congratulations on your new bass, great price! Show us some pics please :)

7. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    No pics, no bass. ;)

8. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Cool, I am sooo jealous, I love TBirds, I have an Epi Bird as one of my back ups, I play Fender Japanese P Bass early 2000 re-issues as my primary bass as well as a Hofner Club.

TBirds are so expensive.

9. LCMBassist

LCMBassist

Sep 27, 2008
    England
    Yes, actual GLUE! to hold the stickers down at the edges. It's super glue. I've been chipping it off but its taken the finish with it in places (not bothered, this bass has huge dings in it). I just wanna get the rest of it off, and have it as my uber cool rock n roll bass. Superglue is a bitch to get off...

10. Slats

Slats

Apr 25, 2004
    If it's superglue try saliva......no kidding. If I remember right they had trouble getting it patented until it took an enzyme in saliva (possibly an alpha amylase) to disolve it. That way kids wouldn't be able to superglue their mouths shut and not be able to breathe.

11. LCMBassist

LCMBassist

Sep 27, 2008
    England
    Interesting. I may spit all over my new bass then haha. I'll get some pics ASAP.